Orthophonic Listening Test - the results will impress you!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PeterF
Victor IV

Orthophonic Listening Test - the results will impress you!

Post by PeterF »

Recently, as an experiment, I took two Markusphonic Orthowyatt reproducers to the home of my phonograph mentor. These reproducers are Victor Orthophonic soundboxes that have been rebuilt by Wyatt Markus, aka MicaMonster on this forum.

For a long time now there hasn't really been a good source of restoration services for these units. Until his death several years ago, the go-to guy for this was Bob Waltrip, and several of my hobby friends and I were lucky enough to get all or most of our reproducers done by him. But nothing since, until now.

The purpose of the visit was to sit and perform a blind test of a small sampling of rebuilt orthophonic reproducers. I played the two Orthowyatts plus the host's best and favorite Waltrip Wondertone, using identical high quality steel needles, on a small selection of mint condition classical, dance and popular records, for three experienced and discerning listeners.

I randomized the order in which each of the three soundboxes was used for each of the records played, and we discussed the performance of each after each record. Since we had two Orthowyatts on hand we could also discern any traits they might share with each other but not the Wondertone.

Results were really fun. On a delicate classical piece with many high violin notes, the Orthowyatts had a slight advantage, crisp and clear. On a big over-recorded Victor scroll dance number, they were neck-and-neck, with less distortion from the Orthowyatts on the heavier passages. On a pop song, the Wondertone had a bit more bottom end, but the vocals and their sibilants really popped on the Orthowyatts. The Orthowyatts differed against each other only in volume, with one quieter than the other.

It was a fun little listening party, and the listeners really sat up and took notice when I revealed "which was which" after these blind tests.

As should you!

Here, try it yourselves:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=38283

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Orthophonic Listening Test - the results will impress yo

Post by JerryVan »

Wrong link?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Uh, nope, right link. Figured I’d help direct folks to Wyatt.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Doesn't appear to be the right link as it says the Domaine is not any longer in use. It would be nice if you could actually link to the sound test you have told us about, but can't hear?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Oh it seems that Wyatt’s website registration has expired. Well, one can just contact him through this forum, I suppose.