Can someone ID this sound box?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
firehawk178
Victor Jr

Can someone ID this sound box?

Post by firehawk178 »

Firstly, thanks for the activation. This is my first post and I'm new to the old phonograph world.

I recently picked up a Victor Victrola VV-IV on a whim. It looked to be in pretty good condition, cranked up, and the turntable moved. It's missing a few screws and the thumb screw on the sound box needs replacing but everything else looks fine to me.

Since getting it, I've ordered needles and some records that are compatible with it. I also ordered a sound box to reproducer arm flange for a victor victrola assuming it would work with the sound box I have. It hasn't arrive yet so the jury is out on that one.

So, to the question. It had this sound box attached, barely. The flange was pretty much crumbled away to nothing. I've searched Google quite a bit and can't find one with the same face as this one. Some are close, but..
Picture of mystery sound box.
Picture of mystery sound box.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Can someone ID this sound box?

Post by Phonofreak »

This is a Columbia Vivatonal reproducer. This is for the late Columbia machines. This will fit on a Victor or a Victrola. The correct reproducer you need is an Exhibition. Put a want add in the Yankee Trader section. These are fairly common, and I'm sure one of our members can help you out.
Harvey Kravitz

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

That sound box is also identical to the sound box fitted to a Birch portable I used to own, which, itself, was virtually identical to the Phonola illustrated in this ad (except for the puke green paint applied to the outside of the case, of course.):
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (58.31 KiB) Viewed 692 times
SEE: https://free-classifieds-usa.com/for-sa ... aph_i60536

OrthoFan

firehawk178
Victor Jr

Post by firehawk178 »

Thanks for the quick replies! I Knew I didn't have an original part, but it's cool to know what I do have. Glad I stumbled upon this active forum.

David Kellum