Model H reproducer question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Model H reproducer question

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok folks, I was wondering. Do you use your Model H reproducer to play 4 minute celluloid cylinders? Or do you think the Model H should only be used to play wax amberols? What’s your opinion?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Model H reproducer question

Post by phonogfp »

There have been many threads on this. You can use a Model H on either 4min wax or celluloid, but over time the celluloid WILL wear out a sapphire stylus. That's why Edison went to diamond styli with the introduction of the Blue Amberol.

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:There have been many threads on this.
Oops! Sorry about that. :oops: I was kinda worried if I play my BAs too many times with a model H I would wear out the stylus and ruin any wax amberols. (That’s if they don’t self destruct on me first. I’ve read the horror stories.)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Keep in mind that it would take hundreds of plays on celluloid to cause noticeable wear on your sapphire. In my early days I used an H on Blue Amberols because it was all I had. Many years later I was comparing several reproducers and it wasn't until then I realized the sapphire in that H was worn.

Diamond reproducers have larger diaphragms than the H, so using one on your Blue Amberols gives you the added bonus of better fidelity.

As for wax Amberols self-destructing, yes they can. But the frequency of that happening is often overblown. A member of this forum just made a long trip to buy a machine with a cylinder cabinet. The cabinet was laying in his vehicle, and when he arrived home and unloaded the cabinet he found several undamaged wax Amberols in it. I've found that sudden temperature changes are the main culprit in destroying wax Amberols. You needn't shy away from them.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

phonogfp wrote:Keep in mind that it would take hundreds of plays on celluloid to cause noticeable wear on your sapphire. In my early days I used an H on Blue Amberols because it was all I had. Many years later I was comparing several reproducers and it wasn't until then I realized the sapphire in that H was worn.

Diamond reproducers have larger diaphragms than the H, so using one on your Blue Amberols gives you the added bonus of better fidelity.

As for wax Amberols self-destructing, yes they can. But the frequency of that happening is often overblown. A member of this forum just made a long trip to buy a machine with a cylinder cabinet. The cabinet was laying in his vehicle, and when he arrived home and unloaded the cabinet he found several undamaged wax Amberols in it. I've found that sudden temperature changes are the main culprit in destroying wax Amberols. You needn't shy away from them.

George P.
Thanks for the mention!

I'll still have to see whether those Amberols are playable, though... ;)

Bill

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:Keep in mind that it would take hundreds of plays on celluloid to cause noticeable wear on your sapphire. In my early days I used an H on Blue Amberols because it was all I had. Many years later I was comparing several reproducers and it wasn't until then I realized the sapphire in that H was worn.

George P.
In addition to what George said, I'd just add a couple points.

Firstly, it's seems to be rarely mentioned but the fidelity and volume of a good, clean wax Amberol is just amazing, especially with an M, N, N56 or O reproducer.

Secondly, make sure your machine is in good running order before playing was Amberols. Any hanging or skipping due to improperly adjusted feedscrew will immediately damage the record. On a Blue Amberol a sapphire stylus will just skip over without damaging the record.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Valecnik wrote:

George P.

Firstly, it's seems to be rarely mentioned but the fidelity and volume of a good, clean wax Amberol is just amazing, especially with an M, N, N56 or O reproducer.

Secondly, make sure your machine is in good running order before playing was Amberols. Any hanging or skipping due to improperly adjusted feedscrew will immediately damage the record. On a Blue Amberol a sapphire stylus will just skip over without damaging the record.
As always, I appreciate you guys advice. Unfortunately my pockets aren’t deep enough to afford a machine that takes a M, N, or model O reproducer (BTW why are Model O’s on eBay more expensive than some machines? Are they rare?) I do have a refurbished Model H coming from eBay with new gaskets, stylus, and all. So that’s pretty exciting because the Model H I currently have has never worked worth a rip, and after how much it was a pain in the behind to rebuild one of my model C’s I decided to go the pricier but easy route. So now I can hear Irene Franklin sing about how she has the mumps they way it was meant to be heard lol! My feedscrew and half nut are adjusted pretty well so I don’t have to worry about ruining any wax amberols that way.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
Valecnik wrote:

George P.

As always, I appreciate you guys advice. Unfortunately my pockets aren’t deep enough to afford a machine that takes a M, N, or model O reproducer (BTW why are Model O’s on eBay more expensive than some machines? Are they rare?) I do have a refurbished Model H coming from eBay with new gaskets, stylus, and all. So that’s pretty exciting because the Model H I currently have has never worked worth a rip, and after how much it was a pain in the behind to rebuild one of my model C’s I decided to go the pricier but easy route. So now I can hear Irene Franklin sing about how she has the mumps they way it was meant to be heard lol! My feedscrew and half nut are adjusted pretty well so I don’t have to worry about ruining any wax amberols that way.
True about the O reproducers: I sent a message to an eBay seller about the condition of their item...

Bill

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok another goofy question. I now have both model h reproducers and I noticed on one or them the part where the stylus screws into has this “swivel” while the other one doesn’t. What’s that about?
Attachments
CFFA2EB9-4B7C-4B8C-A8CF-E5DEACCC2F38.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Ok another goofy question. I now have both model h reproducers and I noticed on one or them the part where the stylus screws into has this “swivel” while the other one doesn’t. What’s that about?
Not a goofy question at all. The difference is simply early vs. later production. A series of articles on every major type of Edison cylinder reproducer was written by Steve Medved and published in The Antique Phonograph. One of these articles was on the Model H and as I recall, the H has more known variations than any other model.

George P.