got a craigslist machine today

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

got a craigslist machine today

Post by phonophan79 »

Hey Guys -

Just thought I'd share... I got this portable off Craigslist today. Hooray!

I got this for less than $100... I mean, the orthophonic reproducer alone covers that cost, no?

It's a Victor VV-2-55... I realize an extremely common portable, but it cranks and spins and plays. The parts under the turntable are sloppy (I guess the part connected to the tonearm that hits the brake) ...and it has the classic Victor broken tonearm support, so i glued that back on. It's not very attractive inside but the outside is in pretty decent shape. It's probably the biggest of the few portable machines I have.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: got a craigslist machine today

Post by OrthoFan »

I think you did very well! You also got one of the best sounding portables ever produced. It will be worth it to have the sound box overhauled, providing the diaphragm, etc. is in good condition. If you have a good working Orthophonic sound box, try it out on the tonearm.

Here's a relatively decent sounding video of the 2-55 playing. This was the second series produced circa 1930, when the gold spatter paint interior was replaced with Blue or Red (actually maroon.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSx0jpWtk6A[/youtube]

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

If you call my glue job a repair, yes it has. ;)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It should hold forever if you put a brass pin it there. You buy repro backets for this model anyway can't you?
It's still a nice looking portable either way :)

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I found that JB Weld worked great and held without failing on a real similar to this one.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

For the price, I think this looks like a really good purchase, especially if you are happy with the way that it sounds.

Once you get the works cleaned and oiled up nicely, all you need are some parks in which to go record phonograph videos...
larryh wrote:I found that JB Weld worked great and held without failing on a real similar to this one.
And I agree, if you do not want something to move again, JB Weld works quite well. I sold a good bit of it when I worked in the hardware store.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

phonophan79 wrote:Hey Guys -

Just thought I'd share... I got this portable off Craigslist today. Hooray!

I got this for less than $100... I mean, the orthophonic reproducer alone covers that cost, no?

It's a Victor VV-2-55... I realize an extremely common portable, but it cranks and spins and plays. The parts under the turntable are sloppy (I guess the part connected to the tonearm that hits the brake) ...and it has the classic Victor broken tonearm support, so i glued that back on. It's not very attractive inside but the outside is in pretty decent shape. It's probably the biggest of the few portable machines I have.

hello my friend---------i know ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about the phono you bought today,but i can HEAR your enjoyment. that is good enough for me.this is why we enjoy this hobby! your friend Michael