Did Edison ever officially approve of the name Diamond Disc?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Did Edison ever officially approve of the name Diamond D

Post by marcapra »

Fran, there's something new! Edison displayed the Italian Umbrian Long Playing model! Must have been an unsold IU-19 with a Long Play kit installed. Fran, I mentioned earlier that the Diamond Disc Phonographs never had the words "Diamond Disc" anywhere on them, except on the maker's sticker sometimes seen in the horn compartment or underneath the cabinet. I believe my C-250 had one of those stickers. I've looked on my current collection of Diamond Disc machines and can't find a sticker on any of them. Do you know what years Edison used those stickers on his machines?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Marc, are you referring to an Edison co. paper label like this one on my C 250?
Attachments
20181221_182551.jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

yes. I just looked on my A150 and found an older version of this sticker without the "Diamond Disc" phrase. I was wondering when did they start putting on stickers with "Diamond Disc" on it and when did they stop using the stickers? I'm thinking maybe they ceased using stickers when they put out the C-19 models.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:yes. I just looked on my A150 and found an older version of this sticker without the "Diamond Disc" phrase. I was wondering when did they start putting on stickers with "Diamond Disc" on it and when did they stop using the stickers? I'm thinking maybe they ceased using stickers when they put out the C-19 models.
My C 19 #172,249 didn't have the paper sticker, but I can't tell from my photos if there was one there originally. I'll take a good look the next time I'm at my son's house in a couple of weeks. Both of my C 250's and my A 100 have one, but they're all pre-1917 production. I doubt anyone knows for certain what the story is with these stickers.

Merry Christmas, Marc!

-Fran

Here's a photo of the one on my A 100 #100,111 for comparison.
A 100 #100,111.jpg
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

In addition, it would be good to remember this type of notice was one of declaring patent protection, and once patents expired, these notices weren't relevant - legally speaking - so they'd likely be dropped from inclusion, right?

-Fran

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Coyote, I was wondering if the ornaments on your 1-C Long Play have been taken off before? All of the pictures I see of this phonograph from early Edison advertising shows the ornaments are vertically positioned on the two grilles.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Not to my knowledge. I've only seen them horizontally like this in real life. The decoration on the doors on the 1-C in the advertising pamphlets looks different than what was actually produced, to me.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

coyote wrote:Not to my knowledge. I've only seen them horizontally like this in real life. The decoration on the doors on the 1-C in the advertising pamphlets looks different than what was actually produced, to me.
Same here. When I replaced the grille cloth in mine, I used the same holes the center decoration's brads had made in the door panels originally. I confess, I don't recall that I noticed the difference before in the brochures/advertising! Thanks for pointing that out Marc.

Huh. Imagine that! :lol:

Best,
Fran

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Marc, apparently the language "Diamond Disc Record" was used at some point on the jackets. Maybe prior to "Re-Creation" and simply "Edison Record"? I stole these images from eBay. I didn't think to look at the jackets I have as they're always crumbling to bits.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l16002.jpg

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

The Diamond Disc phrase started coming out in 1914 in advertising. When they started calling the records Edison Diamond Disc Re-Creations in 1916 on the sleeves, it lasted until 1922. Then they decided to go back to plain old Edison Record from 1923 - 1929. Thanks for the sleeve pics! Those are early recordings dating from late 1914 or early 1915. However, the sleeves don't have Re-Creation on them. They may also date from 1914-15, as Re-Creation was not used until 1916.