Recommendations/ advice wanted.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Recommendations/ advice wanted.

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I am wanting to get an external horn disc machine, but my top dollar is 450-500 US. What would be a decent playing machine to look for? (I know I won't find a pristine machine at this price range). I should probably mention I already have an outside horn cylinder player (Standard B with an assortment of random horns, some homemade, some that just work)
Last edited by GrafonolaG50 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Re: Recommendations/ advice wanted.

Post by Indestructible »

I would try to find a Victor or Columbia. Maybe you can find one that needs some repair without a horn. Have a separate budget for the horn down the road.
Just a thought. Good luck.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

An outside horn cylinder machine would be well within your budget. A disk horn machine may be a bit out of your budget unless you can find one needing some work.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

My first was a Standard model A made by columbia. I love that machine, and you can pick them up in your price range. Great machines.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

The above replies are good advice. For what it is worth, if you can wait a few months, the Union Show is a great source and the selection will be good.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

EdiBrunsVic wrote:The above replies are good advice. For what it is worth, if you can wait a few months, the Union Show is a great source and the selection will be good.
Union is a bucket list item for sure. I'm going to try and make it this year if I don't have a reenactment and have vacation time.

I would have to sell at least one machine and probably a horn (VVIV and a less than pristine Kalamazoo Duplex horn) to both have room and have extra funds.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

If you're a collector that enjoy projects buy something at a good price and enjoy the restoration journey. If that is not your cup of tea always buy the best you can afford. For example, if you are looking at a well worn $500 Triumph and a pristine $500 Edison Standard I would suggest the Standard. Years from now you'll still be pleased with the Standard and you'd always be looking for a better Triumph. Always buy the best quality you can afford.

Jerry Blais