Help Dating American Graphophone Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
datamath
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Passionate record collector

Re: Help Dating American Graphophone Machine

Post by datamath »

gramophone78 wrote:
datamath wrote: Then I'll find a way of getting a Berliner Gramophone. That's gonna be my target for next year :D.
Well, that's quite a target your setting. In the 30+ years I have been buying machine's and collection down in Mexico, I have never seen a Berliner.

The only Berliner item I found years ago was a very rare Berliner disc. Ironically, the disc was found on a shelf at one of the places that made the glass etched crapophone's. The only copy known to have survived and there it was... :shock:. So, you never know what you will find and where... ;).

I hope you are able to find one.

It reminds of a collection I flew down to buy. What a mess that was. I wish I could find the rest of the pics I took. There were hundreds of machine's. Rooms full of machines and horns. These pics were of just one of the rooms.Reminded me of king Tut's tomb... :lol:. The man found most of his stuff in San Luis Potosi.
Mexican Collection (9).JPG
Mexican Collection (11).JPG
Mexican Collection (6).JPG
Mexican Collection (7).JPG

wow!

Where was this located?? It indeed feels like discovering an ancient site full of treasures. I love to dig this kind of places and find rare gems you'd never imagine.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

datamath wrote: wow!
Where was this located?? It indeed feels like discovering an ancient site full of treasures. I love to dig this kind of places and find rare gems you'd never imagine.
That mess was in Gaudalajara about 20 years ago. The nicest piece to come out of it was a mint Edison spruce horn. No Edison machine's but, a very rare Edison horn all alone.

There was also a TON of parts, etc.... If I remember correctly, I counted 176 machine's (mainly Victor) and then miscellaneous.

By the way, the cockroaches were so big...(how big were they..??)..... I remember seeing a group of four in one corner sniffing a can of Raid, asking me if I wanted a hit.... :lol:. It was so bad, my Wife refused to go into some of the rooms.... :lol:.

I found one of my Stirling engine Phonographs in Morelia over 20 years ago.

datamath
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Passionate record collector

Post by datamath »

gramophone78 wrote:
datamath wrote: wow!
That mess was in Gaudalajara about 20 years ago. The nicest piece to come out of it was a mint Edison spruce horn. No Edison machine's but, a very rare Edison horn all alone.

There was also a TON of parts, etc.... If I remember correctly, I counted 176 machine's (mainly Victor) and then miscellaneous.

By the way, the cockroaches were so big...(how big were they..??)..... I remember seeing a group of four in one corner sniffing a can of Raid, asking me if I wanted a hit.... :lol:. It was so bad, my Wife refused to go into some of the rooms.... :lol:.

I found one of my Stirling engine Phonographs in Morelia over 20 years ago.
Hah, sounds like a fun adventure! Do you know where did all those things come from?