What wood oil do you prefer?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

What wood oil do you prefer?

Post by ts_13 »

As a maintenance not restoring, what oil (or bee wax) do you prefer to wipe your machines down with? I use Howards for an initial clean up along with linseed oil. But not for a monthly cleaning. Anyone wan to to weigh in?

T

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: What wood oil do you prefer?

Post by audiophile102 »

I use Scott's Liquid Gold on all my antiques. Read about it here.
https://www.scottsliquidgold.com/wood-care/
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I do not believe in using any oils, especially Liquid Gold, (sorry, just not my thing). I use a paste wax sometimes. I find that the most beneficial treatment is just a very good cleaning.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

My go to is Kotten Klenser. It's kind of a combination of lemon oil and bees wax. The oil moisturizes the wood and the wax seals it in. It doesn't leave it too shiny. It looks like a well cared for and loved antique.

Mike

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

I use New Life Furniture Masque. I've been using it for about 10 years and it's the best product I've found on the market. This sounds like a plug...but it really does work. Last about 1-6 months depending on the condition of the surface.
Bob

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

fonograph wrote:I use New Life Furniture Masque. I've been using it for about 10 years and it's the best product I've found on the market. This sounds like a plug...but it really does work. Last about 1-6 months depending on the condition of the surface.
Bob
+1

If I'm feeling extra ambitious, I'll follow it up with Renaissance Wax after it dries for a few weeks.

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

I haven't tried the wax. How long does it last before you have to re-apply?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

fonograph wrote:I haven't tried the wax. How long does it last before you have to re-apply?
If I had to guess, I'd say a few years at least. I just started using it 2 years ago and haven't had to reapply yet. It sort of seals in the moisture from the New Life and keeps it looking shiny for longer. You can also use it on polished metals to keep the tarnish at bay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

I'll try that. The only downfall of the New Life is having to re-apply when the sheen dries.

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

I will also sing the praises of New Life Furniture Masque. It does a better job cleaning than anything I have ever used. I use bronze wool, not steel wool, to really get the surface clean. Renaissance Wax is a great wax to follow up.