My Christmas horn (golden paint redone)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jwb88
Victor II

Re: My Christmas horn (golden paint redone)

Post by Jwb88 »

Looks good! Improved it quite a lot.
And you did the inside ribs correctly. I've seen some people try to go along the slightly raised portion like the outside and it looks wrong that way.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Jwb88 wrote:Looks good! Improved it quite a lot.
And you did the inside ribs correctly. I've seen some people try to go along the slightly raised portion like the outside and it looks wrong that way.
The inside lines that go towards the inside were that way when I got it. I do want to go over it with the same paint I used to make it match. Good to know it was done correctly.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

There, I've redone the complete inside lines as well. Can anyone give any advice about attaching the connecting half of the horn to the bell? Do I glue it?
Attachments
20181230_202639.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mormon S wrote:There, I've redone the complete inside lines as well. Can anyone give any advice about attaching the connecting half of the horn to the bell? Do I glue it?

I've been trying to figure out just what the joint between your 2 horn sections looks like. In most every one I've ever seen, the tail part of the horn is attached with a rolled sheet metal seam. This seam tends to be weak point after 120 years of handling and many have come apart. Soldering tends to be the popular method of re-attachment, but most folks aren't good at it and the joint falls apart or looks horrible, in addition to burning of the adjacent paint. Your horn however is curious to me, since some of the photos seem to show a sleeve at the end of the bell section, while the tail piece does not appear to have the typical rolled edge at its extreme end. It leaves me to wonder if your horn was meant to have a detachable tail piece. Can you post photos of the tail & bell ends, where the two pieces are intended to fit up?

The way it is now, can you slip the tail piece over the end of the bell section? Kind of looks like you can.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

JerryVan wrote:
Mormon S wrote:There, I've redone the complete inside lines as well. Can anyone give any advice about attaching the connecting half of the horn to the bell? Do I glue it?
The way it is now, can you slip the tail piece over the end of the bell section? Kind of looks like you can.
Here are a few pictures. I put some glue around the cuffs and lines up the seams. It worked quite well and looks good. I dont know if that cuff around the end of the bell I origional or not.
Attachments
20181231_163615.jpg
20181231_163638.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Looks like that should work just fine. Epoxy?