Springs still go bumpity-bump

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Springs still go bumpity-bump

Post by CharliePhono »

After a thorough cleaning of the spring barrels and springs followed by packing with fresh grease, why would the springs still make the occasional thumping sound? I only notice it as much when winding, not while the machine is playing or running down. I repacked the barrels with MasterPro super lithium EP moly grease. Perhaps not a good grease? The barrels were packed fully, so not thinking it's an inadequate amount? (The machine in question is a VV-4-7.)

I've been into phonos and records most of my life (I'm 65), and never ceased to be amazed at how much I DON'T know since joining the Forum. I think some of you have probably forgotten more than I've learned! Prior to joining, my knowledge was broad and not always specific. I appreciate all that I've learned since being on here and to all of you who have gladly lent a helping hand with my phono-issues.

Thanks,
Charlie

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Springs still go bumpity-bump

Post by Phono-Phan »

Sometimes it takes several full wind up and run down times to fully coat the springs with the new grease.

jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

Post by jmad7474 »

Phono-Phan wrote:Sometimes it takes several full wind up and run down times to fully coat the springs with the new grease.
I second this. When I first got my Victor 0, its spring was incredibly sluggish and thumped-thumped-thumped all the time during playback and winding (presumably because it hadn't been used in 50+ years). However, after about the 40th time (seriously) I kept winding up the motor and letting it run down, it finally began playing as it should and is now one of the quietest spring motors I have heard for a Victor external horn model, it no longer thumps at all. Sometimes these matters just take a LONG time to work themselves through and there isn't much you can do about it.

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

I too have experienced the same, but I am just a newbie compared to you guys.

The last time this happened, I cleaned everything again, but this time, with every single wind of the spring when inserting the spring into the barrel, I wiped new low temperature grease unto the surface of the spring inside the barrel. My hands were cramping by the time I got the last coil in, wiping each turn with grease. Also, I put grease in the bottom of the barrel before inserting the spring and another coating of grease on top before closing the spring barrel. Difference being, that the spring is not "packed" but every bit of the spring surface is greased.

I do it every time now.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Phono-Phan wrote:Sometimes it takes several full wind up and run down times to fully coat the springs with the new grease.

Agreed. I usually smear grease on the spring periodically as I'm winding it back into the barrel, to ensure lubricant on its entire length. If you put the spring in dry, then filled the center area, it will take several full windings to get the grease distributed everywhere, (as mentioned above).

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Gentleman, I sincerely appreciate the responses here. I should mention, with respect to the timeline of the servicing of the motor, I disassembled/cleaned/repacked the springs around August or September of 2017. I should have mentioned that it was not done recently. Also, during the spring-servicing, I did as I have always done, which is to say a good blob of grease at the bottom of the barrel prior to reinstalling the spring, and then prior to closing the barrel, even more grease mashed/mushed over the top side of the spring. After servicing the motor, I placed a brown paper bag beneath it in the cabinet to catch the inevitable drips and blobs that come off of these motors; that bag is nearly spotless, all things considered. The degree of bumping and thumping began to be most noticeable perhaps six or so months later. Perhaps it's time for me to revisit these springs, re-clean, and attempt some of the maneuvers mentioned above. That will likely not happen until spring (pun intended). A concern of mine at this point is am I doing any harm to the springs as they currently are. The bumping only occurs on winding, oddly enough.

Thanks to all, as always, for the insights!

Cordially,
Charlie
Last edited by CharliePhono on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Charlie,

I don't believe you're doing any harm to use it as-is. You may just try squirting a little oil in the barrels and winding it several times. Since I'm not completely familiar with the grease you used, I'm wondering if it isn't a little thick & sticky. Some oil may thin it out a bit.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

JerryVan wrote:Charlie,

I don't believe you're doing any harm to use it as-is. You may just try squirting a little oil in the barrels and winding it several times. Since I'm not completely familiar with the grease you used, I'm wondering if it isn't a little thick & sticky. Some oil may thin it out a bit.
Ah, very good, Jerry. I will try that. It's something I've not done before (oil in the barrel).

Best,
Charlie

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

Part of the problem may be the springs themselves. If the spring is not perfectly flat from one edge to the other it can cause uneven winding and unwinding. Years ago, I read an internal Edison memo discussing this problem. Several early collectors mentioned that Victor had a big problem with their springs during the First World War. Apparently, the best quality metal went into the making of armaments rather than phonograph springs....
Roy