My Christmas Present, an Edison Standard.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Buddyg583
Victor Jr

My Christmas Present, an Edison Standard.

Post by Buddyg583 »

Back in September, I saw this Edison Standard B while antiquing with family. It was a package deal that also included a Morning Glory horn and nine black wax cylinders (about half of them broken). We were out of town, and I didn't have that much on me at the time so I passed on it.

On Christmas morning I was very much surprised when my parents presented me with the phonograph. This is my first cylinder phonograph, and I have a few questions about it. I’ve cleaned it up with some Goop hand cleaner and a paper towel and it cleaned up very nicely.
08FA83A4-FB03-447A-87B6-D74116B60C3A.jpeg
9F8BE00F-609E-440C-8F68-6B1E90BBCC44.jpeg
First, when did this unit leave the factory? It’s S/N 539579.

Second, Is the horn original to the Edison?
F3681D07-D7E2-4199-BE03-518BACE70BF8.jpeg
9EEA41F0-EFCE-4C9F-8762-8021346EA4E0.jpeg
Thanks.

Victor VI

Re: My Christmas Present, an Edison Standard.

Post by 52089 »

That is a beauty, a really great first machine. Congrats! Since you know this is a Model B, I'm assuming you also know it can only play 2 minutes cylinders.

Did you get a crane to go with that horn? You'll need one.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Very nice! :D

The horn is an after-market accessory: standard equipment on Edisons of this period was either a 14" witches' hat horn, or, on later models, a plain black morning glory horn. Your horn is a beautiful example!

Bill

Buddyg583
Victor Jr

Post by Buddyg583 »

BTW, for some reason, it came with a model H 4-minute reproducer.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

That was very much the way I got my own start--Edison Standard Model B with nice morning glory horn and a few wax cylinders, a gift from my parents when I was in high school. Yours, however, looks to be in nicer shape. You will need to scare up a Model C reproducer to play your 2 minute wax cylinders, but hang onto the Model H in case you add a 2 minute/4 minute conversion kit later, as I did. The Standard B is a good, rugged machine; mine is still chugging along nicely better than 40 years later, although I had some work done on it to restore the bedplate finish and whatnot along the line. I've had a series of "better" models since then that never seem to stay in service dependably, but the Standard has yet to let me down. Congrats, and welcome to the hobby!

(PS: In case you haven't already stumbled across it, here's an entire web page devoted to the Edison Standard: https://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-g ... honograph/)

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Sweet machine ! Congratulations on that beauty !

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Very nice!!! You must have been good all year for Santa to bring you that Edison. You did a great job cleaning it up. The horn is awesome. You will have to look for a model C reproducer for the two minute cylinders.
Congrats :D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The pinstriping on your Standard B is outstanding. It's rare to find original striping and corner decorations in that condition on this model - especially in the front right-hand corner.

The horn is also in exceptionally nice condition. If you post a picture of the hanger, someone may be able to identify the manufacturer. If you post the machine's serial number, I can tell you the month and year it left the factory.

If you haven't already discovered it, the Antique Phonograph Society has a nice web site with a number of Introductory articles available to the public. Especially helpful for newcomers is this one:

https://www.antiquephono.org/collecting ... ographs-2/

...and this one:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

Congratulations!

George P.

Buddyg583
Victor Jr

Post by Buddyg583 »

The serial number is 539579.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I like the horn... I'm jealous... I think that its a Tea Tray Horn??? I don't think that its a H&S horn...

It's not an Edison factory horn is it??? I don't remember Factory horns having the Gold Gilding all the way around the edges of the horn..

Anyway,

Good luck with the machine!!! She looks great!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Last edited by NEFaurora on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.