Edison Standard E

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Edison Standard E

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well, here’s my last machine of 2018. And my first rare-ish machine. An Edison Standard model E! S/N 806330. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
-I glued the top of the cabinet together because it was loose and the top works was the only thing holding it together.
-Cleaned the upper and bottom works with WD-40
- The Model N reproducer was stuck to the carriage so I put the carriage and reproducer in the freezer overnight and managed to separate them damage free!
- Cleaned the cabinet with Goop cleaner.

Now the only things I still need to do is find a gear cover, Find that chrysanthemum horn (sadly no screw holes for a Cygnet) and most importantly: Get that pot metal bearing outta here!!

Pics
Attachments
563112FA-0416-412E-9698-E0A6B48D95A6.jpeg
2BB2C2E7-40D7-44C0-A107-923676D37ED4.jpeg

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Re: Edison Standard E

Post by Indestructible »

Looks great and good luck on the horn.
I never heard of the freezer trick, I'm going to try it.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

Congratulations, that is a great looking machine.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wes K wrote:Congratulations, that is a great looking machine.
Thanks. Now I need to make it a great WORKING machine!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Andy, Wish you lived near me. We'd get that nasty pot metal bearing out promptly. The blue flowered horn you need shows up at some of the regional sales. If you plan on attending any, I would advertise in the Trader Section prior to attending. If possible you'd be wise to avoid the high cost of shipping a morning glory horn.

Jerry Blais

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Jerry B. wrote:Andy, Wish you lived near me. We'd get that nasty pot metal bearing out promptly.
The only way I could get mine out was to soak it in wd-40 for 4 or 5 days and attach the mandrel shaft to a drill :lol:

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Remove the set screw holding the pot metal bushing an place and put a few drops of Muriatic Acid down the hole some evening. By the next morning enough of the old bushing should have been dissolved so that the mandrel shaft may be easily withdrawn.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Remove the set screw holding the pot metal bushing an place and put a few drops of Muriatic Acid down the hole some evening. By the next morning enough of the old bushing should have been dissolved so that the mandrel shaft may be easily withdrawn.
This is what I’ll probably do. Idk.
With a firm grip I can somewhat turn the mandrel. So it’s not absolutely frozen. I’ll probably won’t do the procedure until I order the new bearing, and I don’t really know when that will be at the moment... :?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok. Show of hands: How many of you bought a machine on eBay Edison or Columbia and when you unpacked it the lid looked like this?
Attachments
4B479847-5501-4171-A76F-EEE9CA8BC337.jpeg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It looks like the seller left it attached when it was shipped and was probably damaged from turning the package upside down.

It is always a good idea to send shipping instructions to a seller and get them to agree to your packing preferences BEFORE sending any payment. Packing per my instructions will obviously increase your shipping costs, but prevent possible damage and the headaches associated with trying to settle a shipping claim.

Granted, if you pay by PayPal you can get reimbursed for damaged goods or from the shipping company, BUT you may never be able to salvage the historic machine. So, it's better to be pro-active, since most sellers have no clue how to ship fragile items, especially phonographs. I wrote up a set of shipping instructions for sellers that I send whenever I win anything valuable or fragile. Feel free to copy and save this for future use...

SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS TO SELLERS:
(1) Remove crank from machine and wrap it separately.
(2) Remove reproducer from machine and wrap it separately in bubble wrap.
(3) Remove motor and upper works from cabinet. Wrap the entire mechanism in plastic wrap to keep anything from moving or shifting... Then wrap the entire mechanism in bubble wrap and place it in an oversize box with plenty of room around it for packing - peanuts, newspaper etc., several inches of packing below the motor, sides and top. Make sure it's packed tight and then seal the box - DO NOT PACK ANYTHING ELSE IN WITH IT!!! Label it FRAGILE - BOX 1 of 3 - THIS END UP
(4) Take the crank and reproducer which are already wrapped and place them in the case BOTTOM, then fill the case inside with packing material and place it in a SEPARATE oversize box with packing below, on the sides and on top... Make sure enough packing is in place to keep the case from moving in the box. Then seal the box and label it FRAGILE - BOX 2 of 3 - THIS END UP
(5) Fill the case LID with packing material and place it in a SEPARATE oversize box with packing below, on the sides and on top... Make sure enough packing is in place to keep the case lid from moving in the box. Then seal the box and label it FRAGILE - BOX 3 of 3 - THIS END UP
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife