Heywood-Wakefield wicker phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Heywood-Wakefield wicker phonograph

Post by eighteenbelow »

Greetings. I've been offered one of these but I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about it -- I've seen photos in books, but have no idea where or when they were made, or what one might be worth. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
Heywood-Wakefield phonograph.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Heywood-Wakefield wicker phonograph

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Phonographs are collectible.
Heywood-Wakefield furniture is collectible.

Maybe someone else can chime in with a cash value, but I'd grab it if I was you and then ask questions later. It's really neat-looking even unrestored!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

A nice item. The rubber connector between the tone arm and the reproducer is often bad in these, but this one looks like it's intact. It's been some time since I've seen one of these sell, but if I recall, they have brought between $500 - $1000. That one looks very nice, especially since it does not appear that anyone has repainted it, which seems to have been "the thing" to do with them. If you get it, which I urge you to do, please don't think of repainting it! Even if you don't want it, I urge you to get it and perhaps offer it for sale here, where someone will appreciate it and not "re-purpose" it into something awful and worthless. But, more than that, I would hope that you would get it and enjoy it. It's a nice phonograph!

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

I concur with the other opinions. I am very interested in this aspect to the history of phonographs... what I mean is the furniture business/talking machine connection of post world war one.

This machine is like other scenarios I have researched, a well known furniture business jumping into talking machine production. I notice advertisements in large quantity circa 1919 and then starting to fizzle around 1922. Some ads indicate that Heywood-Wakefield got out of talking machine production during the 1921-22 period. This is on par with other companies I have researched.

I think it is an awesome machine if priced accordingly. I will leave the values to more seasoned collectors - I am mostly interested from a retail/business history standpoint. However, I would love to have it my collection - good find.
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

Here is the bottom to a 1919 ad that lists a few retail locations (there were more than one is listed in this particular ad), and more importantly, factory info.... pretty cool.
Attachments
Smaller Ad.jpg
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

If you like it, and want it in your collection and the price is reasonable, buy it.

From what I've seen over the years, these machines have a very limited appeal, and are not of much interest to many collectors. It is basically an off brand machine in a wicker cabinet that resembles a 1960's laundry hamper. ;)
Best regards ... AZ*

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

AZ* wrote:If you like it, and want it in your collection and the price is reasonable, buy it.

From what I've seen over the years, these machines have a very limited appeal, and are not of much interest to many collectors. It is basically an off brand machine in a wicker cabinet that resembles a 1960's laundry hamper. ;)
They tend to be picked up by collectors of odd brands, and by people who like wicker. At least one other company made a similar type & they tended to be a bit more ornate, with the lid lined in pleated cotton chintz (which typically looks like hell). If you have room they certainly make a nice contrast from the typical Victrola.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:At least one other company made a similar type & they tended to be a bit more ornate, with the lid lined in pleated cotton chintz (which typically looks like hell). ...
I've seen those. They kind'a remind me of one of these:

Capture.JPG
:shock:

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

It is basically an off brand machine in a wicker cabinet that resembles a 1960's laundry hamper. ;)
That's it. It reminds me of what I used to throw my dirty clothes in, in the bathroom when I was a kid, except it was white, in the 50s and 60s! Odd to see it as a phonograph. I have seen them years ago at Stanton's and it's true they don't bring much money. Marc.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

They are quite evocative in appearance...ideal for the porch of that summer home on a New England lake.