Duncan Stop functionality questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PeterF
Victor IV

Duncan Stop functionality questions

Post by PeterF »

A little while ago, I turned up a new old stock Edison Duncan electrical stop kit for diamond disc phonographs. If you don’t know what that is, do a little bit of a search on the forum, and/or on the APS site, and you will find a lot of descriptive information. In a nutshell, it uses a solenoid to trigger the brake utilizing a contact system incorporated into the reproducer when specially modified with parts that come with the kit.

I finally got around to installing it last night, and it works like a champ, except for one major exception: the weight never goes sideways enough to contact the limit loop and trigger it! Instead, the stylus leisurely tracks along the runout area as usual, til the regular mechanical stop does its job.

Not the whizbang finish we expect or want.

So I’m calling Dr. Pratt, since he obsesses on stuff like this, or any others of you. Even Drs. Howard, Fine, or Howard might be better able to figure this out than me right now.

PS, it was super Edi-geeky to modify an Edisonic reproducer to Duncan mode!
Attachments
73FB8F5D-F2A4-4FA9-BBCE-9E854262BF03.jpeg
0AAACAC9-918F-43A3-B35C-2D60D4D0FDA7.jpeg
DD90CD76-FEBA-47D1-A6B4-D1FF1888696C.jpeg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Duncan Stop functionality questions

Post by fran604g »

Oh no! Shooting blanks...

I wonder if the difference could be attributed to the heavier floating weight of the Edisonic?

Does the "regular" reproducer stylus move over to the loop as it should under the same circumstances?

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

The plot thickens.

I just tried the standard Duncan-ized reproducer, and it worked as intended. I switched back to the Edisonic, and on the same record, electro-stop did not function. The standard reproducer limit pin wiggles around like crazy at the end of the record and so it clicks right over. However the Edisonic was rock solid stable. I’ll try lubricating the Edisonic hinge pin a little bit to see if that might have something to do with it. But it does exhibit no inclination to wiggle or trip.

I may be the one who is actually tripping.
Attachments
22F45F36-A954-4F22-BF7D-A40442AA2D0D.gif
22F45F36-A954-4F22-BF7D-A40442AA2D0D.gif (261.51 KiB) Viewed 953 times

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That’s the only thing I can think of, too: that maybe the hinge needs lubricated or loosened? Polished? I love the idea of a super deluxe DD phonograph so I hope it ends up working. This does encourage me to possibly get around to installing my own auto stop, which I still haven’t done after all these months.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Yeah I got rid of the Edisonic Schubert because of space considerations (plus it was kinda ugly), and so now this is my only daily driver diamond disc machine (the A-60 does not count, because it’s more of a display item than a useful thing).

So I put the LP mechanism on it, and installed the thus-requisite multi-reproducer holder, and it already had a Motrola autowinder (I’ve said it before and will say it again: I HATE WINDING PHONOGRAPHS) and the 10”/12” tabs, and now finally the Duncan stop.

After a bit of reshuffling - not done yet by any stretch - here is the newly configured Edipathic Corner of the entertainment room. Those records are all diamond discs.
Attachments
3E716C8D-951B-40FB-9DA4-9043883776D0.jpeg

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That looks fantastic!

I agree, the longer I’m in this hobby the less I like winding. I really wish Edison has worked the kinks out of the electric motors. An electric DD machine would be much more enjoyable.