Opinion before buying a G&T Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
datamath
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Passionate record collector

Re: Opinion before buying a G&T Machine

Post by datamath »

Thank you guys!

I can now pay confidently for my machine, knowing I won't be unpleasantly surprised when I find out more about it.

Curt A wrote:It's a VERY nice machine and a good price... I hope you gave the seller specific packing/shipping instructions to avoid damage... MOST sellers have no clue how to pack them.
Curt, A, Thanks for your advice on shipping. Which are the best practices around shipping I should follow to ensure the machine arrives properly?

Thanks!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

datamath wrote:Thank you guys!

I can now pay confidently for my machine, knowing I won't be unpleasantly surprised when I find out more about it.

Curt A wrote:It's a VERY nice machine and a good price... I hope you gave the seller specific packing/shipping instructions to avoid damage... MOST sellers have no clue how to pack them.
Curt, A, Thanks for your advice on shipping. Which are the best practices around shipping I should follow to ensure the machine arrives properly?

Thanks!
I recently posted these "instructions to Sellers" in another thread:
SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS TO SELLERS:
(1) Remove crank from machine and wrap it separately.
(2) Remove reproducer from machine and wrap it separately in bubble wrap.
(3) Remove motor and upper works from cabinet. Wrap the entire mechanism in plastic wrap to keep anything from moving or shifting... Then wrap the entire mechanism in bubble wrap and place it in an oversize box with plenty of room around it for packing - peanuts, newspaper etc., several inches of packing below the motor, sides and top. Make sure it's packed tight and then seal the box - DO NOT PACK ANYTHING ELSE IN WITH IT!!! Label it FRAGILE - BOX 1 of 3 - THIS END UP
(4) Take the crank and reproducer which are already wrapped and place them in the case BOTTOM, then fill the case inside with packing material and place it in a SEPARATE oversize box with packing below, on the sides and on top... Make sure enough packing is in place to keep the case from moving in the box. Then seal the box and label it FRAGILE - BOX 2 of 3 - THIS END UP
(5) Fill the case LID with packing material and place it in a SEPARATE oversize box with packing below, on the sides and on top... Make sure enough packing is in place to keep the case lid from moving in the box. Then seal the box and label it FRAGILE - BOX 3 of 3 - THIS END UP

For your machine I would alter the wording somewhat - skip #3,4 and 5 above and replace them with the following wording:
(3) Remove wooden tonearm and unscrew front mount support from cabinet. Wrap both pieces in bubble wrap and place screws in plastic bag. Remove the turntable and wrap with bubble wrap. Place the turntable, crank, reproducer, tonearm and front support in an oversize box with plenty of room around it for packing - peanuts, newspaper etc., several inches of packing below the parts, along the sides and top. Make sure it's packed tight and then seal the box - DO NOT PACK ANYTHING ELSE IN WITH THEM!!! Label it FRAGILE Box#1 of 3
(4) Wrap the entire cabinet and motor in bubble wrap and tape it tightly. Then place it in a SEPARATE oversize box with plenty of room around it for packing - peanuts, newspaper etc., several inches of packing below the cabinet and motor, sides and top. Make sure it's packed tight and then seal the box - DO NOT PACK ANYTHING ELSE IN WITH IT!!! Label it FRAGILE - BOX 2 of 3 - THIS END UP
(5) REMOVE THE HORN and fill it with packing material. Wrap it with bubble wrap and place it in a SEPARATE oversize box with packing below, on the sides and on top... Make sure enough packing is in place to keep the horn from moving in the box and keep it away from the sides. DO NOT PLACE ANYTHING ELSE IN THE BOX WITH THE HORN! Then seal the box and label it FRAGILE - BOX 3 of 3 - THIS END UP

Be sure to send this to the seller right away - preferably before paying for it. Don't buy this if the seller doesn't agree to ship in three separate boxes and using your packing instructions. This machine is very fragile and you don't want to receive it damaged... Don't be concerned over the extra shipping charges, as they are well worth it. Also, use USPS for shipping - not UPS or FEDEX and be sure to have insurance on it.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

...and bad packing can lead to disaster. My Victor V arrived with the spring barrel banging around inside the case, one side of which it had bashed out, because of poor packing. If you have any reason to think the seller doesn't know how to pack it, please do pursue the issue pronto!

Oh, and don't rely on "pack and mail" type places to know any better. The minimum wage part time kids they hire often are just as clueless as an uninformed individual seller.

datamath
Victor Jr

Post by datamath »

Thanks for the very detailed instructions.

I sent them to my seller and he received them on time. He seems to be experienced selling phonographs (has 100% rating on ebay from more than 20 years of selling), but he did use them in the end.

Thank you guys! Having your support has been very useful for me.

Happy new year!

José

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

To be accurate:

The "Trademark" is a Style 5 that was in production 1897-1902, and what was used in the HMV Painting. Called the trademark because it featured in the painting that became the trademark.

The Style 3 was sold from 1903 to 1905.

The easiest way to tell the apart is the spring casing. Style 5 rounded, Style 3 straight edges on the sides with a slight curve between them. There is also a difference in brakes, speed controls, and a few other small differences.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Wow nice machine and I think too you did well. Very desirable machine.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Unless I read this thread wrong....you asked for opinions "after" you had already made the deal on Ebay. Once you and a seller have entered an agreement....it reflex's badly on you if you were to have canceled the sale. In future, it's better to ask for opinions "before" you make a purchase.

In this case you did fine.

datamath
Victor Jr

Post by datamath »

gramophone78 wrote:Unless I read this thread wrong....you asked for opinions "after" you had already made the deal on Ebay. Once you and a seller have entered an agreement....it reflex's badly on you if you were to have canceled the sale. In future, it's better to ask for opinions "before" you make a purchase.

In this case you did fine.
Hey :)

I agree with you. Actually, I had all the intention of buying the machine, and I committed to do so (it's already on its way, actually). I would have only canceled if the seller would try to deceive me. In that case i'd see no problem cancelling the purchase.

Thanks!