Hello, and a question on sealing Victrola horn parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Hello, and a question on sealing Victrola horn parts

Post by mick_vt »

Hi all, new to the group and to the hobby.

I just acquired a red mahogany Victrola XVI (series G) from 1913 that I am busily bringing up to snuff. So far I have stripped cleaned, lubed and adjusted the motor, including repacking the springs. The machine has not been used hardly at all int he last 40 years or so and things were a little gummed up to say the least. It now runs beautifully smoothly, with just a little purr. The reproducer is currently being rebuilt, but I have installed another (previously rebuilt one) in the meantime

One question that I think you might be able to help me with... The internal cast iron horn has come a bit adrift from the wooden grille. most screws are missing and need to be replaced but it looks like the wood was also sealed to the metal with something, perhaps wax, does anybody know what this substance is / was? Is it even original. or is it a DIY repair? Any recommendations about what to use for resealing if it is at all necessary?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Hello, and a question on sealing Victrola horn parts

Post by OrthoSean »

I'm pretty sure they were sealed with some kind of wax that usually just falls off from ones I've noticed this on. I just take the two pieces and remove the screws, chip off whatever is left and use regular clear silicone caulk. I'm wiling to bet most people would say it makes no difference in playback volume by doing this, but my ears think it does, after all, it was there originally and it really only takes less than a half hour to redo the whole thing and reassemble.

Hope this helps, the XVI has always been my favorite model Victrola, I'm at 8 different variations of it currently in my own collection :lol:

Sean

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Re: Hello, and a question on sealing Victrola horn parts

Post by mick_vt »

Thanks OrthoSean, I have only just bought my first and I already find myself eyeing others... an L door, or perhaps one in a nice fumed oak.... ;)

I see you are "near NY's capitol" - coincidentally that is why my XVI came from (Irvington)