Tonearm for a Victrola Credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
datamath
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Passionate record collector

Tonearm for a Victrola Credenza

Post by datamath »

Hey guys!

Some years ago a friend of mine gifted me a very beautiful Victrola Credenza that belonged to his family for decades.

The machine is in excellent condition, except for the fact that the tonearm is missing. I attach on the post some images of it, as well as a diagram on the whole where the arm mounts.

Do you guys have a spare I can buy?

Thank you very much!!

José
Attachments
Tonearm Mount.png
CIMG0540.jpg
CIMG0542.jpg
P7301177.jpg
P7301182.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Tonearm for a Victrola Credenza

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Impressive! A tooled leather credenza...THAT is no cheap junk machine.

Get that fixed and you'll have something worth keeping for life.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

It would be best to post a "wanted" ad in our "Yankee Trader" section. You might also try George V in the Spring. You can find his contact information in the "Links" section.

Hope this helps.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

The Credenza, later renamed 8-30 was sold for 3 or 4 years with slight variations. The earliest models had 2 doors and the turntable centered. Yours is a later model with the turntable offset to the right. The tonarm came in multiple configurations: with bracket and without.

Since yours is the later model (8-30) with offset turntable, the tonearm should be of the bracket variety. Since the brackets were made of pot metal, many have crumbled in the past 90 years. Excellent repro brackets are available from JAS or Ron Sitko.

The tonearm below is an earlier bracketless model and is NOT CORRECT for your machine:
Best regards ... AZ*

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

PM sent re: tonearm and reproducer.

datamath
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Passionate record collector

Post by datamath »

AZ* wrote:The Credenza, later renamed 8-30 was sold for 3 or 4 years with slight variations. The earliest models had 2 doors and the turntable centered. Yours is a later model with the turntable offset to the right. The tonarm came in multiple configurations: with bracket and without.

Since yours is the later model (8-30) with offset turntable, the tonearm should be of the bracket variety. Since the brackets were made of pot metal, many have crumbled in the past 90 years. Excellent repro brackets are available from JAS or Ron Sitko.

The tonearm below is an earlier bracketless model and is NOT CORRECT for your machine:

Hey!! What was the bracket for?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The bracket they are talking about is that arch of cast iron with the pivot pin in it so the arm can swing more freely. It's used to decrease friction on the bearings in the tone arm.

At least, I think that's what you are talking about.