Key Tassels

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Key Tassels

Post by fran604g »

Ever since the internet has slowly eroded the burlesque marketplace, tassels have collected in large quantities, only to languish in dark, seedy warehouses.

Fortunately the talking machine hobby industry has come to their rescue through some very diligent marketing experts.

Free the tassels!

Chuckles y'all,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

fran604g wrote:Ever since the internet has slowly eroded the burlesque marketplace, tassels have collected in large quantities, only to languish in dark, seedy warehouses.

Fortunately the talking machine hobby industry has come to their rescue through some very diligent marketing experts.

Free the tassels!

Chuckles y'all,
Fran
:lol:

OK, confession is good for the soul: Not only do I have a tassel on my C-250 (and like it), the grille cloth is a flamboyant Asian-inspired print, not some drab grey-green obeisance to what might have been the cheapest choice the Edison company could scare up as "original equipment" when shipping machines out. :twisted:

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

If any of you come across a distasteful tassel with a gold Victor key attached I'd be more then happy to take it off your hands. :lol:

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:Ever since the internet has slowly eroded the burlesque marketplace, tassels have collected in large quantities, only to languish in dark, seedy warehouses.

Free the tassels!

Chuckles y'all,
Fran
I have vivid memory of being taken, while in my 20s, to a place where tassels were being displayed. One particular display impressed me mightily, being capable of twirling two tassels clockwise, then counter-clockwise, and then both directions at once (one clockwise and the other counter-clockwise). I've seen some very impressive phonographs with tassels, but that particular display really stands out in my memory.

George P.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Have been using them for over 25 years.....so, nothing new to some of us... :lol:.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

phonogfp wrote:
I have vivid memory of being taken, while in my 20s, to a place where tassels were being displayed. One particular display impressed me mightily, being capable of twirling two tassels clockwise, then counter-clockwise, and then both directions at once (one clockwise and the other counter-clockwise). I've seen some very impressive phonographs with tassels, but that particular display really stands out in my memory.

George P.
Hahaha, George, I would not have thought such a naughty lad lurks within!

Raphael

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I like tassels. They add a little color and style that can be changed with the season if desired. They don’t change anything and can be removed or replaced without any damage to anything. That said, only one of my cabinet keys has a tassel, small and emerald green on my Oak 130.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Raphael wrote:
phonogfp wrote:

George P.
Hahaha, George, I would not have thought such a naughty lad lurks within!

Raphael
I was only a fresh-faced lad, wide-eyed and innocent, being led down the path to Purgatory by members of the JayCees (Junior Chamber of Commerce)...

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Chuck wrote: However, there is also some of the "monkey see,
monkey do" influence at work here, I think.
This is pretty much why my VV-XI has a small gold tassel hanging from its key. I saw other people were doing it so I thought “why not?” :?

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

I find that non-phono people like the tassels for some reason and have even had people ask if they were original. They soften and add (texture, color, material) to an otherwise stale (from an non-collectors perspective) exhibit. The utilitarian value is well worth the price of admission in my opinion - I would hate to lose a key!