The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Key Tassels
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:23 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Ever since the internet has slowly eroded the burlesque marketplace, tassels have collected in large quantities, only to languish in dark, seedy warehouses.

Fortunately the talking machine hobby industry has come to their rescue through some very diligent marketing experts.

Free the tassels!

Chuckles y'all,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:28 pm 
Victor II
fran604g wrote:
Ever since the internet has slowly eroded the burlesque marketplace, tassels have collected in large quantities, only to languish in dark, seedy warehouses.

Fortunately the talking machine hobby industry has come to their rescue through some very diligent marketing experts.

Free the tassels!

Chuckles y'all,
Fran

:lol:

OK, confession is good for the soul: Not only do I have a tassel on my C-250 (and like it), the grille cloth is a flamboyant Asian-inspired print, not some drab grey-green obeisance to what might have been the cheapest choice the Edison company could scare up as "original equipment" when shipping machines out. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:31 pm 
Victor IV
Life's Short. Be Happy!
If any of you come across a distasteful tassel with a gold Victor key attached I'd be more then happy to take it off your hands. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm 
Victor Monarch Special
Who is John Galt?
fran604g wrote:

Free the tassels!

Chuckles y'all,
Fran

I have vivid memory of being taken, while in my 20s, to a place where tassels were being displayed. One particular display impressed me mightily, being capable of twirling two tassels clockwise, then counter-clockwise, and then both directions at once (one clockwise and the other counter-clockwise). I've seen some very impressive phonographs with tassels, but that particular display really stands out in my memory.

George P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 pm 
Victor VI
Have been using them for over 25 years.....so, nothing new to some of us... :lol:.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:07 pm 
Victor III
phonogfp wrote:

I have vivid memory of being taken, while in my 20s, to a place where tassels were being displayed. One particular display impressed me mightily, being capable of twirling two tassels clockwise, then counter-clockwise, and then both directions at once (one clockwise and the other counter-clockwise). I've seen some very impressive phonographs with tassels, but that particular display really stands out in my memory.

George P.

Hahaha, George, I would not have thought such a naughty lad lurks within!

Raphael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:38 pm 
Victor III
I like tassels. They add a little color and style that can be changed with the season if desired. They don’t change anything and can be removed or replaced without any damage to anything. That said, only one of my cabinet keys has a tassel, small and emerald green on my Oak 130.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 pm 
Victor Monarch Special
Who is John Galt?
Raphael wrote:
phonogfp wrote:

George P.

Hahaha, George, I would not have thought such a naughty lad lurks within!

Raphael

I was only a fresh-faced lad, wide-eyed and innocent, being led down the path to Purgatory by members of the JayCees (Junior Chamber of Commerce)...

George P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 pm 
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Chuck wrote:
However, there is also some of the "monkey see,
monkey do" influence at work here, I think.

This is pretty much why my VV-XI has a small gold tassel hanging from its key. I saw other people were doing it so I thought “why not?” :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:09 pm 
Victor II
I find that non-phono people like the tassels for some reason and have even had people ask if they were original. They soften and add (texture, color, material) to an otherwise stale (from an non-collectors perspective) exhibit. The utilitarian value is well worth the price of admission in my opinion - I would hate to lose a key!