1897 "Eagle" Graphophone ad - The Machine That Talks

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

1897 "Eagle" Graphophone ad - The Machine That Talks

Post by melvind »

This morning I was going through some boxes of paper I have had in storage since moving a few years ago. I did not remember this ad, but I love it. Lots of detail and a nice document. The paper is a little rough and needs to be in a nice sleeve to protect it. I thought some of you might enjoy this ad with information on available accessories and call for subscriptions from an 1897 Leslie's Weekly magazine ad.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: 1897 "Eagle" Graphophone ad - The Machine That Talks

Post by phonogfp »

That's a wonderful ad, Dan! The photo is a good one, and the graphics are great.

One thing though - the handwritten notation at the bottom is in error. The Eagle wasn't introduced until August 1897. In light of the fact that the uncased Eagle PLUS a subscription to Demorest's Magazine was being offered for $10 (the original price of an uncased Eagle), I'd think that 1899 was a more likely date. Columbia discontinued the uncased Eagles that year, and they may have been available in bulk for use as premiums, as here.

Thanks for posting this interesting advertisement!

George P.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

George,

I wish I had the actual magazine this ad came from to be sure of the dates. Your suggestion of 1899 makes sense to me and I have no idea who wrote the date on the paper that I have. Thanks for adding to the info!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Great ad, thanks for sharing it, Dan.

I was wondering about the ability of the publishing house to essentially resell an Eagle at 0.00 dollars.

I'd love to know more about this sort of promotional, and how well they actually worked out for the client, i.e.: increased subscriptions.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Yes, a great ad and since I just bought me an Eagle very interesting to see anything related to the machine. Thanks for posting this ad. Neil

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Sorting through my phone ephemera after my recent move I found this interesting add for a free Eagle Graphophone with the purchase of 20 boxes of chewing gum. They list the price for an Eagle outfit including horn, listening tubes and four records at $12. Can anyone guess from when this ad might be?

Interesting that it is described as "A cheerful Companion in the Sick Room". Can't imagine a music system or an mp3 player advertised that way today. No entertainment company nowadays would want to be associated with something uncomfortable like being sick. Times have changed....

Andreas
Grove's Free Eagle Graphophone - 1.jpg
Grove's Free Eagle Graphophone - 2.jpg

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Nice ad for a free Eagle. Never heard of a gum called Grooves? Has anyone? For fun here is the one I just bought about a week ago. Neil
Attachments
Eagle1a.JPG