Question about Victrola record binders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Question about Victrola record binders

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok, I apologize if this has been answered in another thread. When people bought a new Victrola...say circa 1922, how many 10 inch albums, and how many 12 inch albums were provided by the dealer with their new machine? Thanks.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Question about Victrola record binders

Post by phonogfp »

That varied with the machine. A 1922 VV-120 would have more albums than a 1922 VV-80. Also, the dealer didn't provide the albums; they came with the Victrola.

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:That varied with the machine. A 1922 VV-120 would have more albums than a 1922 VV-80. Also, the dealer didn't provide the albums; they came with the Victrola.

George P.
How many 12 inch albums were provided with each machine when new? I’d assume each machine wouldn’t come with as many 12 inch albums as 10 inch ones.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Again, it depends on the machine. I'd say the majority of machines had more 10-inch than 12-inch albums, but the XVI, Victor's flagship model, came with 10 albums of each size.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Again, it depends on the machine. I'd say the majority of machines had more 10-inch than 12-inch albums, but the XVI, Victor's flagship model, came with 10 albums of each size.
Bob
Interesting. I have a VV-111 which is a descendant of the VXI and it only has 8 shelves for albums. I guess Victor had to sacrifice shelf space for the larger horn!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Yep - look what Victor did to the Credenza's record storage! ;)

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:Yep - look what Victor did to the Credenza's record storage! ;)

George P.
Yeah, on my 8-4 I only have 3 shelves for albums!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Interesting. I have a VV-111 which is a descendant of the VXI and it only has 8 shelves for albums. I guess Victor had to sacrifice shelf space for the larger horn!
Actually, The VV No.120 is the decent of the VV-XVI. Your VV No.111 was one model lower. If you Google your machine, I think you will find pics showing it came with eight 12" albums A-H.

You may want to contact "PHONOMIKE" on this forum. He was offering many albums for sale in the Yankee Trader. I'm sure he can get you what you need or most.

By the way, the left mahogany filler panel in the album storage compartment has been broken out at some point. I guess an owner needed extra record storage.

Victrola No.111.JPG

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophone78 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Interesting. I have a VV-111 which is a descendant of the VXI and it only has 8 shelves for albums. I guess Victor had to sacrifice shelf space for the larger horn!
Actually, The VV No.120 is the decent of the VV-XVI. Your VV No.111 was one model lower. If you Google your machine, I think you will find pics showing it came with eight 12" albums A-H.

You may want to contact "PHONOMIKE" on this forum. He was offering many albums for sale in the Yankee Trader. I'm sure he can get you what you need or most.

By the way, the left mahogany filler panel in the album storage compartment has been broken out at some point. I guess an owner needed extra record storage.

Victrola No.111.JPG
Really? I thought the 111 was a replacement for the 120...like how the 125 replaced the 130 or the 110 replaced the XIV. So the 111 was it’s own thing? Not really meant as replacement for any model? These early 1920s machines are confusing!

This site says the 111 was an update of the XVI and 120. Are they wrong?

http://www.victor-victrola.com/111.htm

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:

Victrola No.111.JPG
Really? I thought the 111 was a replacement for the 120...like how the 125 replaced the 130 or the 110 replaced the XIV. So the 111 was it’s own thing? Not really meant as replacement for any model? These early 1920s machines are confusing!

This site says the 111 was an update of the XVI and 120. Are they wrong?

http://www.victor-victrola.com/111.htm
Time to invest in a copy of "Look For The Dog"... ;).
The No.120 was released a year earlier (1921) as the VV-XVI replacement. As the VV-XIV was replaced by the No.110. The No.111 was offered (Summer 1922) as a "between" model with smaller cabinet and larger horn alternative to the No.120....as written in LFTD.

One could say the No.111 ended as the final incarnation of a VV-XVI. However, the No.120 and No.111 were available at the same time for short period.
Last edited by gramophone78 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.