Restoration question on Victor VV-XI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
78recordpicker
Victor I

Restoration question on Victor VV-XI

Post by 78recordpicker »

New to restoration - cleaning up an XI - mostly dirty and scratched - got most of that. My question is the front doors - very faded as compared to rest of machine which actually looks quite nice. 2 questions:
1. What would cause such a difference compared to rest of machine - for example lid is great - not even a glass ring stain. Sunlight exposure?
2. And I’m new to restoring so don’t laugh - can I just restain just the doors? I I found a mahagony stain that when I applied to inconspicuous part of sides looks like an excellent match. And if I just do the doors, do I have to strip off the existing faded first?
Attachments
9C6BC571-72E3-463E-8BB5-9A59965C0B99.jpeg

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Re: Restoration question on Victor VV-XI

Post by mick_vt »

Dont strip you will never match the finish and color. It's shellac which has likely crazed, this can be rejuvented with denatured alcohol - the DNA will melt the shellac and restore the lustre. Easily said, harder to do. Basically remove and clean the doors thoroughly to remove any old wax etc. Then spray with DNA light coats and watch the shellac dissolve. It will re-harden in about an hour. You will likely then need to finish as you would a fresh cabinet finish - light sanding and polishing, finishing with paste wax. If you apply the wax with a white or light gray scotchbrite (synthetic steel wool) you should get close to the lustre of the original cabinet. If all this sounds new and difficult, take the doors to a good furniture restorer and ask them to freshen the shellac finish without stripping

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

If you dont want the bother and risk of doing the above, hitting them with a dark wax like the deep shades of briwax can make no end of difference to the look as it will darken what is currently light

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

Thanks Mick!