How often do you find ITS (textbook) standard machines?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: How often do you find ITS (textbook) standard machines?

Post by phonogfp »

FellowCollector wrote:
martinola wrote: While it's in a New style case as you would find on a model A, the bedplate and top works belong to a model B with 5 screws holding it to the frame.
I'm confused I think, Martin. :lol:

The bed plate on this appears to have a hole for the speed control (see picture) which would make the bed plate and upper works for an Edison Standard model A (like the one here:
https://www.intertique.com/EdisonNewSty ... DDemo.html on Lynn Bilton's web page) unless I'm missing something here.

All of the Edison Standard model B's I own and I've seen have no hole for the speed control. It looks to me like this is a banner Edison Standard model A without the motor, reproducer, crank and horn but with the ITC (International Textbook Company) tag (and the ICS parts) and modern bed plate screws. Is it because this has the 5 bed plate screws that makes this a model B Standard bed plate and upper works?

Thanks,
Doug
The ICS/ITC Standards, regardless of model, had holes in their bedplates for a speed control mounted above. The speed markings on the back rod (assuming the back rod is original to the machine) would suggest that this is a Model B from post December 1905.

As far as I know, the 5 mounting screws are found only on some Model B Standards.

George P.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Makes perfect sense! I'd forgotten that the speed control is always on top for any of the Edison Standard models with ITC/ICS tags/parts. Thanks, as always, George! :)

Doug

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

FellowCollector wrote:Makes perfect sense! I'd forgotten that the speed control is always on top for any of the Edison Standard models with ITC/ICS tags/parts. Thanks, as always, George! :)

Doug
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the speed control knob is compatible with a model b motor as long as you have the adjustment knob.

Martin