Name this cabinet company?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonographclown
Victor Jr

Name this cabinet company?

Post by Phonographclown »

A couple months ago I purchased a dual radio and turntable cabinet. I finally have some spare time and money to get it fixed up. It already works, but could use some maintenance, sanding, and refinishing. I have searched far and wide for any info on the companies based on model and part numbers on the turn table. Im hoping to get more information on it and see if it's worth the money of fixing up or should I resell it.

What I have found out:

The turntable is a J.P. Seeburg Model B automatic record changer. It's a knife type record changer from 1940, patented by Carl G. Johnson. Seeburg sold this turntable to 38 cabinet companies including Stromberg-Carlson and RCA. It will play 12 10in records or 10 12in records. I have found the manual in the John F. Rider volumes as well as the patent design. The one in this unit works but doesn't produce loud sound.

The radio is a model 635 General Television and Radio Corp of Chicago Il. This company usually make tabletop tombstone radios or Bakelite radios
I could not find much on General Television. I am not sure if they produced the cabinet. I found the schematic but cannot read it. I am not sure if it even belongs in the console.

There is a Swing Master label on the inside of the cabinet. White photographing I noticed a strange metal piece stuck under the turntable. After pulling it out it reads "made in US Crowe Chicago". The company made the medal dial plates for many radio companies. It goes in a strange spot on the wall between the turntable and radio and doesn't seem to have a function. The metal doesn't match anything else on the unit.

The wiring needs to be redone, the radio works but the signal is very weak. Speakers are quiet.
Should I get this fixed up? Or should I buy a more quality piece. Ideally would like something to play my 78s.
Attachments
15469201811232609217180574335885.jpg
Mystery piece
Mystery piece
Screenshot_20181017-232629_Drive.jpg
vqEULhU.jpg
5GkZYL0.jpg
aA9Lg89.jpg
Needle
Needle
Screenshot_20190107-000022_Drive.jpg
A87hQm9.jpg
RvFXsMW.jpg
n6p37uW.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Name this cabinet company?

Post by Curt A »

The metal plate looks like a lamp cover...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Looks like the escutcheon for a tuning eye. But I don't see one in the schematic. I don't understand the chassis with two tubes in the back.

Phonographclown
Victor Jr

Post by Phonographclown »

Yes! After searching for similar style tuning eye radio - I found that this particular cover goes to a Truetone D 7-11
Which doesn't explain why it was in such a strange position in this cabinet/ there at all?