Which Victrola model is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zenith82
Victor II

Re: Which Victrola model is this?

Post by zenith82 »

You probably see ten or fifteen VV-XVIs for every VV-111 you encounter in the wild. It's a nice find and an uncommon machine. This machine was made at a time when the public was beginning to go nuts over horizontal models. That and a high price tag is probably why it didn't sell too well.

Try to see if they'll take a little less. You'll not likely find another anytime soon and this is one I'd hate to see get turned into a liquor cabinet, potty chair, or whatever the "repurposers" are doing now.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

zenith82 wrote:You probably see ten or fifteen VV-XVIs for every VV-111 you encounter in the wild. It's a nice find and an uncommon machine. This machine was made at a time when the public was beginning to go nuts over horizontal models. That and a high price tag is probably why it didn't sell too well.

Try to see if they'll take a little less. You'll not likely find another anytime soon and this is one I'd hate to see get turned into a liquor cabinet, potty chair, or whatever the "repurposers" are doing now.
The hardest part will be convincing my family to let me get another machine. You ever get anyone asking you “What does that thing do that the others don’t?” Lol

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

"You already have a record player that plays these kinds of records" -the wife. Yeah, we all get that. If you have a once in a lifetime deal come up you have to jump on it though. I think all collectors have a few "the one that got away" stories to tell. Don't let this be one of those! Go buy it.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Good news! I got my family to agree! I sent a message to the seller to tell them that I was interested and when would be a good time to see it.

So this machine is the updated version of the XVI? So anything above this you were pretty much paying for furniture.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

At the time the 111 was available, there was the 120 (a clone of the XVI only renumbered), the 111 and one other model, all were $225 so a customer had 3 different models to choose from at the same price point.

Congrats, I think you've made a great choice!

Sean

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Great news - good luck on sealing the deal and getting it home. In the meantime, get going on the CL listings for the LC-32 and XI...sooner you get them out, the better the karma.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Bad news. I got a message from the seller saying someone offered them $550 and asking me if I wanted to get a bidding war. I said “no thanks.” If I wanted to get into a bidding war I’d go on eBay! I just got priced out of it. :( I’m sure some of you had this happen to you? *sigh* Unfortunately this is going to be a “One that got away” story.
Attachments
4439E2B0-8599-4C1B-8FCC-04F8A8010CF6.gif
4439E2B0-8599-4C1B-8FCC-04F8A8010CF6.gif (1.49 MiB) Viewed 721 times
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

PeterF wrote:Great news - good luck on sealing the deal and getting it home. In the meantime, get going on the CL listings for the LC-32 and XI...sooner you get them out, the better the karma.
Well looks like I’m stuck with my VV-XI Even longer... :|

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Happens all the time, especially with CL.

It won't be the last time, either.

The good thing about this one is that it taught you how to go about it next time. Save up a little cache of cash that makes it easier to jump on stuff when it pops up. Let the family know that you will get rid of stuff when better stuff appears to replace it, and then actually do that when it happens.

This one was certainly going to be an upgrade on the XI, but maybe the next one will be an even better upgrade...to an orthophonic for example. They are out there and will show up, just like this one did.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's too bad, Andy, but a lesson learned. One always runs the risk of losing a purchase to someone else when publicly posting an item for advice.

We're generally honorable folks here, but there are many others who are lurking on the periphery who might not share the sentiment of "first come..."

That being said, don't be too discouraged, it's happened to all of us at one time or another. :)

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.