Which Victrola model is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Which Victrola model is this?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I was checking Craigslist and I noticed this Victrola in a nearby town. It either looks like a XVI or a XIV but I’m not sure what it is. Because this is the only photo of this machine they have up, and the description only says “1920s victrola.”
Attachments
8668080D-336C-4302-BD13-8DF39F1DBA43.jpeg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Which Victrola model is this?

Post by gramophone78 »

This is where having reference books on machines come in handy. I would recommend to all newer collectors to invest a little money in at least a few good books. Any books put out by George P. & Tim are a great choice and for Victor machines.... Look For The Dog by Bob Baumbach.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

^ I agree. Another great resource if Andy doesn't know, is Paul Edie's site here: http://www.victor-victrola.com/

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

The more I compare pictures I think it may be a VV-XIV? Maybe a 100? :?

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

What ever it is it is nice. My XIV (fumed oak)has a tray in the center and only one key hole up at top but other then that it could be a later XIV? Everyone has given good advice on books and websites to visit. Neil

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

ask the seller to send you a pic of the serial umber plate. You are going to want more pics and details anyway ;)

My bet is it is an XIV

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

mick_vt wrote:ask the seller to send you a pic of the serial umber plate. You are going to want more pics and details anyway ;)
Unfortunately, I probably won’t be getting it anytime soon. I need to save my money to appease certain family members... To some a $300 Phonograph is the same as buying a $30,000 car and I won’t have any money for retirement. Oh well... :(

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
mick_vt wrote:ask the seller to send you a pic of the serial umber plate. You are going to want more pics and details anyway ;)
Unfortunately, I probably won’t be getting it anytime soon. I need to save my money to appease certain family members... To some a $300 Phonograph is the same as buying a $30,000 car and I won’t have any money for retirement. Oh well... :(
Did I read somewhere your 28..?. If so, you have many years to go to reach retirement. By the way, the books are cheaper.... ;).

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophone78 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:
Did I read somewhere your 28..?. If so, you have many years to go to reach retirement. By the way, the books are cheaper.... ;).
According to them I’ll buy another one, and another one, etc...and I’ll have nothing else by the time I’m older. Might as well make them happy. As Cal Stewart says in his recordings: “In order to keep peace in the family...”

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

It looks like a very nice XIV to me, but I'm no expert on Victor models.

I know that feeling from family members, lol, and I mostly ignore it. I will say, however: take your time gathering floor models. They take up a lot of room in even the largest of homes. If you already have a few, don't worry about passing up a common Victrola. And in that case it's best if a floor model you bring home replaces/improves an existing one you have.