Which Victrola model is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Which Victrola model is this?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Jwb88 wrote:It looks like a very nice XIV to me, but I'm no expert on Victor models.

I know that feeling from family members, lol, and I mostly ignore it. I will say, however: take your time gathering floor models. They take up a lot of room in even the largest of homes. If you already have a few, don't worry about passing up a common Victrola. And in that case it's best if a floor model you bring home replaces/improves an existing one you have.
Well, i’m kinda guilty of saying “this is my last one for awhile! I promise!” Only to get another one a week later. The only acoustic floor model I have is a VV-XI so this would be an upgrade. But I might hold out for a XVI or higher model. By the time I ever find one around here I’ll likely have enough money saved up…

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

A philosophy that has helped maintain harmony here at our house is to reach a manageable number of machines, with each being of a different form factor and function, then over time replace each with a nicer/upscale upgrade within its own type/category. For example, replace the Fireside with a Home, and then a Triumph. Replace the Amberola 30 with a 50 and then a V. Replace the Victor E with a Vic III and then a VI. It can take years of course, but that can be fun too.

With that, you can replace the small horned, nickel hardware VV-XI with this new machine you've found, which looks like a VV-111 with its large horn opening and gold hardware.

So try negotiating a promise to sell the XI and replace it with this one, which is hands-down an improvement to what you've got now and a bargain at $300 if it is as nice as the photo makes it seem.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'll certainly agree with everyone about books and all that good stuff, but nobody has correctly identified this machine. It's a VV-111, not a terribly common machine by any means. It carried a $225 price tag when it was first introduced in 1922.

Hope this helps,
Sean

EDIT, Peter beat me by a minute! I agree with him, this would be a nice upgrade to your XI.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

PeterF wrote:A philosophy that has helped maintain harmony here at our house is to reach a manageable number of machines, with each being of a different form factor and function, then over time replace each with a nicer/upscale upgrade within its own type/category. For example, replace the Fireside with a Home, and then a Triumph. Replace the Amberola 30 with a 50 and then a V. Replace the Victor E with a Vic III and then a VI. It can take years of course, but that can be fun too.

With that, you can replace the small horned, nickel hardware VV-XI with this new machine you've found, which looks like a VV-111 with its large horn opening and gold hardware.

So try negotiating a promise to sell the XI and replace it with this one, which is hands-down an improvement to what you've got now and a bargain at $300 if it is as nice as the photo makes it seem.
This is what I’m going to do. I still need to sell my LC-38 Edison since I’ve I upgraded to a C-19 it’s now just a table for my Audio Technia turntable, amp, And speakers... And since it’s a relatively uncommon model I really need to get my rear in gear! Oh BTW it’s actually $350.
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Wow, I didn't even notice the shallower lid. This would be a significant upgrade to an XI.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well, I owe a lot of money my next payday so it will be awhile the next time I even have $350 on me. So I hope it stays up within the next month or so.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I was checking Craigslist and I noticed this Victrola in a nearby town. It either looks like a XVI or a XIV but I’m not sure what it is. Because this is the only photo of this machine they have up, and the description only says “1920s victrola.”
How about this one? http://www.victor-victrola.com/105.htm

Or perhaps this one: http://www.victor-victrola.com/110.htm (note the two key holes).

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Sean is correct about it being a VV-111. Notice how short the lid is vertically. Also notice that the horn doors are tall. The whole cabinet has a slightly different look than the Roman numeral Victrolas. It's a fine example of a late traditional Victrola with the dome top. The majority of VV-111 were sold in 1922 and the last trickled out in 1926 (Victor Data Book - everyone should own a copy). I'll always wonder if owners like this and similar Victrolas felt cheated when the Orthophonics were introduced. Their machine was virtually obsolete about the time they made their last monthly payment. In my opinion this late Victrola, which sold in small numbers, is an interesting addition to a collection.

Jerry Blais

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

And if you put a Victrola #4 reproducer on it, with that big horn, it ought to sound pretty good, too.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Jerry B. wrote:Sean is correct about it being a VV-111. Notice how short the lid is vertically. Also notice that the horn doors are tall. The whole cabinet has a slightly different look than the Roman numeral Victrolas. It's a fine example of a late traditional Victrola with the dome top. The majority of VV-111 were sold in 1922 and the last trickled out in 1926 (Victor Data Book - everyone should own a copy). I'll always wonder if owners like this and similar Victrolas felt cheated when the Orthophonics were introduced. Their machine was virtually obsolete about the time they made their last monthly payment. In my opinion this late Victrola, which sold in small numbers, is an interesting addition to a collection.

Jerry Blais
Yeah. I feed bad for anybody who bought a machine in 1924-25 and then having to find that out. At least they could have upgraded to a #4 reproducer. I did ask the seller about what model it was and they told me it would take them a couple of days to check.