"New" Victrola VV-XIV

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ReverendC
Victor Jr

"New" Victrola VV-XIV

Post by ReverendC »

New to the Talking Machine world. Picked this up at a local auction for $42. Cabinet looks decent as far as I can tell.
Issues as far as I can make out:
Missing: "volume" doors
Missing: Key
Missing: One of sound board knob
Missing: Speed indicator needle
Lid is cracked where the piano hinge screws in (easy fix)
One of the 3 springs is broken or slipped off something.
Felt looks a bit worn

Having an issue getting the turntable off and I can't figure out how to open the spring barrel (I have posted those already)

So, is it possible to find replacements for missing bits?

Here are some pics.
WithLid.jpg
FrontWOLid.jpg
back.jpg
Label.jpg
IntSticker.jpg
turntable.jpg
Motor.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: "New" Victrola VV-XIV

Post by gramophone78 »

ReverendC wrote:New to the Talking Machine world. Picked this up at a local auction for $42. Cabinet looks decent as far as I can tell.
Issues as far as I can make out:
Missing: "volume" doors
Missing: Key
Missing: One of sound board knob
Missing: Speed indicator needle
Lid is cracked where the piano hinge screws in (easy fix)
One of the 3 springs is broken or slipped off something.
Felt looks a bit worn

Having an issue getting the turntable off and I can't figure out how to open the spring barrel (I have posted those already)

So, is it possible to find replacements for missing bits?
We have a section called the"Yankee Trader" that you can place your wants list. Also, under "Links" you can find dealers that sell parts. There have been a couple recent threads that mention some of the main dealers are closed now until the new year and or beyond. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ?f=8&t=195

Hope this helps.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

What he said.

Also, nice machine! I'm sure someone can help you out with parts.

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

How do the keys work? Is there a specific key that works with the XIV?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

ReverendC wrote:How do the keys work? Is there a specific key that works with the XIV?
A common nickel plated Victor V key is all you need. Here is a Ebay listing of a fellow forum member.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-VICTO ... :rk:3:pf:0

Since your list is lengthy, I would wait and contact someone like George V at Great Lakes. He should be able to provide you with all or most of your needs. However, I believe he is away until Spring for a much need holiday.

The springs...Ron Sitko and he will supply and install at a minimal cost if you send him the barrels. It is always better to replace all springs at the same time.

Both these dealers are in the links section I provided.

The volume doors will be a challenge to find a good color match as finishes varied depending to their environment and exposure.

You should have it up and running in no time... ;).

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

Springs need to be redone, but it works.

https://youtu.be/4SrRlbklWOg

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Some of the people suggest to wash the felt while it is on the turntable. That may clean it up to look presentable and till look original. Do NOT remove it to clean it but it can be cleaned with a mild soap and water while glued on. Removing it will shrink it and it will not go back on. Those are nice looking phonographs in oak Enjoy the restoration Tom

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

That's the exact same motor that is in my XVI, I just fully rebuilt it a couple of weeks back. Happy to answer any specific questions on it if I can. Looks like your turntable is half off already as I see the brake leather sticking out. Just keep working at it gently, it should just slide off the stem. Maybe warm it with a hairdryer, may help loosen it up

ReverendC
Victor Jr

Post by ReverendC »

mick_vt wrote:That's the exact same motor that is in my XVI, I just fully rebuilt it a couple of weeks back. Happy to answer any specific questions on it if I can. Looks like your turntable is half off already as I see the brake leather sticking out. Just keep working at it gently, it should just slide off the stem. Maybe warm it with a hairdryer, may help loosen it up
This post shows the springs.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=38384
The middle spring looks odd. Are they suppose to be identical?

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

ReverendC wrote:
mick_vt wrote:That's the exact same motor that is in my XVI, I just fully rebuilt it a couple of weeks back. Happy to answer any specific questions on it if I can. Looks like your turntable is half off already as I see the brake leather sticking out. Just keep working at it gently, it should just slide off the stem. Maybe warm it with a hairdryer, may help loosen it up
This post shows the springs.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=38384
The middle spring looks odd. Are they suppose to be identical?
Mine all looked the same. I did not remove the center arbors though, just cleaned the springs up with them still in place