The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Novice question on Victrola reproducers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:31 pm 
Victor Jr
Foxtrotaholic
I have a 1913 XVI with an exhibition reproducer, will a #2 reproducer fit my arm, and if it does would it sound different? Inquisitive mind looking to be educated

Last edited by mick_vt on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Novice question on Victorola reproducers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 pm 
Victor II
I hate pot metal
mick_vt wrote:
I have a 1913 XVI with an exhibition reproducer, will a #2 reproducer fit my arm, and if it does would it sound different? Inquisitive mind looking to be educated

Yes it certainly will! I don’t have a exhibition reproducer to compare but I think a #2 would have more volume.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 pm 
Victor I
A #2 will work, though it will no longer be "authentic" :D That said, I've seen a few Exhibition era machines over the years where the owners had upgraded their reproducer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 pm 
Victor Jr
Foxtrotaholic
Thanks guys, I have just had the original reproducer rebuilt, it will stay with the machine so long as I have it. I was just thinking it might be nice to mess with an alternate from time to time. I didn't want to bother buying one if it would not fit, or the sound would be weirdly off with it. I beieve they fitted them on later XVIs but the tone arm on those was a different shape too I think?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 pm 
Victor V
mick_vt wrote:
Thanks guys, I have just had the original reproducer rebuilt, it will stay with the machine so long as I have it. I was just thinking it might be nice to mess with an alternate from time to time. I didn't want to bother buying one if it would not fit, or the sound would be weirdly off with it. I beieve they fitted them on later XVIs but the tone arm on those was a different shape too I think?

Any tonearm that accepts an Exhibition also accepts a No. 2. The inner diameters on both flanges is identical.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:02 am 
Victor VI
mick_vt wrote:

In order to achieve a proper comparison, you would also have to rebuild the #2. There are always many on Ebay for sale. A couple hours ago one was a BIN for $38 with box. The reproducer was nickel and the box was for a gold finish. Still, a very good deal and sold fast.

Post subject: Re: Novice question on Victrola reproducers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 pm 
Victor O
"Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"
As the other posters have said, a No. 2 will fit on the tonearm as they both have the same rear flange opening despite having the diaphragms of different sizes. However, if you have a lot of 78 rpm discs recorded in the electrical era (after 1925), I would advise getting a rebuilt Victrola #4 reproducer and using that instead of a #2 reproducer. This way, you have the Exhibition reproducer (which is original to the machine) but can swap it out for the #4 reproducer as needed, since it plays both acoustic and electric records safely and is less heavy on the records than a #2.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm 
Victor Jr
Foxtrotaholic
Cool - thanks I will keep an eye out for one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm 
Victor II
mick_vt wrote:
Cool - thanks I will keep an eye out for one

Just be careful. Try to find a Victrola #4, and not a #4A. The #4A is made from pot metal, and many have swollen and cracked -- much like the pot metal Orthophonics, so they are not easily overhauled. Unfortunately, the #4As are much more common than the brass #4s.
Best regards ... AZ*