The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:30 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
Ok, I apologize if this has been answered in another thread. When people bought a new Victrola...say circa 1922, how many 10 inch albums, and how many 12 inch albums were provided by the dealer with their new machine? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:13 pm 
Offline
Victor Monarch Special
User avatar
Who is John Galt?
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 5838
Location: New York's Finger Lakes
That varied with the machine. A 1922 VV-120 would have more albums than a 1922 VV-80. Also, the dealer didn't provide the albums; they came with the Victrola.

George P.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:11 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
phonogfp wrote:
That varied with the machine. A 1922 VV-120 would have more albums than a 1922 VV-80. Also, the dealer didn't provide the albums; they came with the Victrola.

George P.

How many 12 inch albums were provided with each machine when new? I’d assume each machine wouldn’t come with as many 12 inch albums as 10 inch ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:05 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
"Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:19 pm
Posts: 1364
Again, it depends on the machine. I'd say the majority of machines had more 10-inch than 12-inch albums, but the XVI, Victor's flagship model, came with 10 albums of each size.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:58 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
barnettrp21122 wrote:
Again, it depends on the machine. I'd say the majority of machines had more 10-inch than 12-inch albums, but the XVI, Victor's flagship model, came with 10 albums of each size.
Bob

Interesting. I have a VV-111 which is a descendant of the VXI and it only has 8 shelves for albums. I guess Victor had to sacrifice shelf space for the larger horn!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:03 pm 
Offline
Victor Monarch Special
User avatar
Who is John Galt?
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 5838
Location: New York's Finger Lakes
Yep - look what Victor did to the Credenza's record storage! ;)

George P.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:06 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
phonogfp wrote:
Yep - look what Victor did to the Credenza's record storage! ;)

George P.

Yeah, on my 8-4 I only have 3 shelves for albums!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 3572
Location: Western Canada
AmberolaAndy wrote:
Interesting. I have a VV-111 which is a descendant of the VXI and it only has 8 shelves for albums. I guess Victor had to sacrifice shelf space for the larger horn!


Actually, The VV No.120 is the decent of the VV-XVI. Your VV No.111 was one model lower. If you Google your machine, I think you will find pics showing it came with eight 12" albums A-H.

You may want to contact "PHONOMIKE" on this forum. He was offering many albums for sale in the Yankee Trader. I'm sure he can get you what you need or most.

By the way, the left mahogany filler panel in the album storage compartment has been broken out at some point. I guess an owner needed extra record storage.


Attachment:
Victrola No.111.JPG
Victrola No.111.JPG [ 121.57 KiB | Viewed 265 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:54 pm 
Offline
Victor II
I hate pot metal
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Posts: 398
Location: Where the pickin’s are slim
gramophone78 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:
Interesting. I have a VV-111 which is a descendant of the VXI and it only has 8 shelves for albums. I guess Victor had to sacrifice shelf space for the larger horn!


Actually, The VV No.120 is the decent of the VV-XVI. Your VV No.111 was one model lower. If you Google your machine, I think you will find pics showing it came with eight 12" albums A-H.

You may want to contact "PHONOMIKE" on this forum. He was offering many albums for sale in the Yankee Trader. I'm sure he can get you what you need or most.

By the way, the left mahogany filler panel in the album storage compartment has been broken out at some point. I guess an owner needed extra record storage.


Attachment:
Victrola No.111.JPG


Really? I thought the 111 was a replacement for the 120...like how the 125 replaced the 130 or the 110 replaced the XIV. So the 111 was it’s own thing? Not really meant as replacement for any model? These early 1920s machines are confusing!

This site says the 111 was an update of the XVI and 120. Are they wrong?

http://www.victor-victrola.com/111.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question about Victrola record binders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 3572
Location: Western Canada
AmberolaAndy wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:
Interesting. I have a VV-111 which is a descendant of the VXI and it only has 8 shelves for albums. I guess Victor had to sacrifice shelf space for the larger horn!


Actually, The VV No.120 is the decent of the VV-XVI. Your VV No.111 was one model lower. If you Google your machine, I think you will find pics showing it came with eight 12" albums A-H.

You may want to contact "PHONOMIKE" on this forum. He was offering many albums for sale in the Yankee Trader. I'm sure he can get you what you need or most.

By the way, the left mahogany filler panel in the album storage compartment has been broken out at some point. I guess an owner needed extra record storage.


Attachment:
Victrola No.111.JPG


Really? I thought the 111 was a replacement for the 120...like how the 125 replaced the 130 or the 110 replaced the XIV. So the 111 was it’s own thing? Not really meant as replacement for any model? These early 1920s machines are confusing!

This site says the 111 was an update of the XVI and 120. Are they wrong?

http://www.victor-victrola.com/111.htm


Time to invest in a copy of "Look For The Dog"... ;).
The No.120 was released a year earlier (1921) as the VV-XVI replacement. As the VV-XIV was replaced by the No.110. The No.111 was offered (Summer 1922) as a "between" model with smaller cabinet and larger horn alternative to the No.120....as written in LFTD.

One could say the No.111 ended as the final incarnation of a VV-XVI. However, the No.120 and No.111 were available at the same time for short period.


Last edited by gramophone78 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.