Two minute Edison Standard

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

Two minute Edison Standard

Post by vansteem78 »

I had two other Edison Standards but one was altered to play 2/4 minute cylinders and the other newer was made to play both cylinders. So when I saw this one which left the factory in January of 1904 with only the two cylinder mechanism I had to have it. Do any of you relate to that. I also did not have a horn like this so for two reasons I bought this when I visited Gordon's antique shop in Grafton Wisconsin.
Attachments
two minute Standard 009.jpg
two minute Standard 009.jpg (118.24 KiB) Viewed 959 times
two minute Standard 008.jpg
two minute Standard 008.jpg (120.23 KiB) Viewed 959 times
two minute Standard 006.jpg
two minute Standard 006.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 959 times

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Two minute Edison Standard

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It looks quite nice and hopefully plays well too.

Squire
Victor Jr
Personal Text: You haven't stopped talking since I came here. You must've been vaccinated w/ a phonograph needle

Post by Squire »

I have a Standard B that is still in its two minute configuration. I’m finally getting ready to start restoring it and have no intention of converting it to two/four minute operation. Since it needs restoration, I could convert it without detracting from its originality but I’m happy to keep it a two minute machine.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

And I thought I was the only nut that appreciated unconverted 2-minute only machines. It may be because I personally only own combination and 4-minute machines, but I like the way original Edison 2-minute machines look. The combination gearing looks okay, but not as clean or balanced as original 2-minute only configurations.

Great machine you have there, and a very nice horn.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I had to do a few things to make my Standard sound and work well. I needed a new leather belt. I ordered some but being the impatient sort I found an old belt that I no longer used to hold up my pants and it was splitting so I cut me a piece and after a few tries I got it to work. Then I had to remove a dead fly from the reproducer and put a drop of cement glue down its throat because it was not attached down below and voila it sounds wonderful. I was told originally it was soldered but the glue worked nicely. I am very happy with this machine and it's sound. Actually hurt my eardrums to sit in front of the horn. ha ha I do have a hearing problem but not when I listen to this machine!!!

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

What a nice find!
The Standard is one of those machines that can easily have multiple personalities and makes a convenient excuse for owning more than one. I have three model B's and each is different: an early banner B that is 2-minute only with which hat, a script B that is 2-minute with a 24" brass horn, and a script B that is 2/4 with cygnet and horizontal carriage. They are the same, but each is different.