Found the missing record player for the Victor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Re: Found the missing record player for the Victor

Post by eighteenbelow »

zenith82 wrote:
eighteenbelow wrote:
zenith82 wrote:Also, this machine is for playing only acoustically recorded records. Electrically recorded records from about 1925 onward can be damaged if they are played on acoustic machines.
Interesting; I've been collecting, restoring and playing for a long time, and I've never heard that. I know electrically-recorded records don't SOUND as good on acoustic machines (or at least not as good as they sound on orthophonics or electric machines), but I can't imagine how playing an electric record on an acoustic machine would damage the record. It's not like acoustic reproducers are heavier than orthophonic reproducers or electric pickups. Can you please explain?
There's been extensive discussion about this over the years. A search on the forum will turn up several threads. Once the electric era started and electric pickups became the norm, they were lighter than acoustic reproducers. As a result, many manufacturers started changing the composition of the shellac. Hold a record from 1915 in one hand and a record from 1935 in the other. You'll find the 1935 record (at least most of them) is lighter and has a more brittle feel to it. It will wear faster under a heavy reproducer versus a lighter electric pickup.

Some people will play the later records, but I personally wouldn't chance it. I like my records too much.
I've tried but I can't find any of the aforementioned threads; can anyone post links? I'd appreciate it.

I still have a hard time believing that electric pickups weigh less than, say, a Victor Exhibition reproducer...

Victor VI

Re: Found the missing record player for the Victor

Post by 52089 »

Here's an example of a "what rcords can I play" thread, with pointers to other related threads as well:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... frequently