Found the missing record player for the Victor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
michaelphoenix22
Victor Jr

Found the missing record player for the Victor

Post by michaelphoenix22 »

A few months ago I made a post here about a Victor that we found in my inlaws old farm house. The box was there but the record player was long since removed.

WE FOUND IT!

https://imgur.com/a/YSeXRhc

We did a quick test and it still works beautifully. But it needs to have some serious resto work done on it. I'm willing to do it myself I have a little bit of mechanical and woodworking knowledge. What should be the first few things that should be done to get it back into working order. Since the player is already out I'm guessing I would start with that then do the woodworking. Are there any resources available on where to get started?

And even better it came with about 100 or so needles for it!

85corvetteman
Victor O
Personal Text: Vic II, Vic III, Schoolhouse, VV 8-4, VV-130, VV-280, VE-XVI, VV-VIII, VV-IV, VV-VI, Credenza

Re: Found the missing record player for the Victor

Post by 85corvetteman »

The first machine that I tried cleaning and refurbishing the motor on was also a VV-X.
There is a series of 6 very detailed videos on YouTube by chilldude2007 that walks you thru the process. These videos should be the same for your VV-X.
If you try this yourself just be very-very careful with spring removal and re-installation..

Take care,
Terry

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

A VV-X is a good machine for a beginner to hone their skills on. In addition to disassembling, cleaning, and lubricating the motor, you will also need to rebuild the reproducer, as the gaskets are almost guaranteed to be dry rotted. Your machine is a later VV-X. The serial number dates it to 1920.

I wouldn't use any needles found in the machine, as they have most likely been used and will damage records. Needles are readily available and are not expensive. With these machines, one needle equals one play. After you play one side of a record, the needle is removed, discarded, and replaced for the next selection.

Also, this machine is for playing only acoustically recorded records. Electrically recorded records from about 1925 onward can be damaged if they are played on acoustic machines.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The biggest problem apparent with this machine is the fact that someone sawed out the mahogany deck that surrounded the motor board. A good woodworker might be able to fabricate a replacement, but the expense may well exceed the value of the VV-X.

The horn is missing too, and it will be necessary to replace it with one from the same version of the X (there were several).

You might be better off getting an empty cabinet and putting your motor in it (same versions of course).

George P.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

George brought up something I didn't even think to mention earlier - that cabinet has been hacked up BAD inside. To the point that you will probably do better trying to find another VV-X cabinet than trying to find the parts this one is missing and repair it. This cabinet would be better suited to practice your woodworking skills on.

The good news is, the VV-X is a common machine, so you ought to be able to track down a better cabinet for it. The downside is, depending on where you live, it might take some time or you might have to find someone willing to ship one.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I happen to have an empty VV-X cabinet in my boneyard, but as usual, the "Profile" for the OP has not been filled out so I don't know if he's nearby or not. Does he really live in Phoenix? ("Long-Island-Phonograph" happens to live in Ohio.)

I don't mean to be an old grandma, but it baffles me why so many don't fill out what could be a very useful tool. No specifics are necessary - - just a region would be helpful.

George P.

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

zenith82 wrote:Also, this machine is for playing only acoustically recorded records. Electrically recorded records from about 1925 onward can be damaged if they are played on acoustic machines.
Interesting; I've been collecting, restoring and playing for a long time, and I've never heard that. I know electrically-recorded records don't SOUND as good on acoustic machines (or at least not as good as they sound on orthophonics or electric machines), but I can't imagine how playing an electric record on an acoustic machine would damage the record. It's not like acoustic reproducers are heavier than orthophonic reproducers or electric pickups. Can you please explain?

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

eighteenbelow wrote:
zenith82 wrote:Also, this machine is for playing only acoustically recorded records. Electrically recorded records from about 1925 onward can be damaged if they are played on acoustic machines.
Interesting; I've been collecting, restoring and playing for a long time, and I've never heard that. I know electrically-recorded records don't SOUND as good on acoustic machines (or at least not as good as they sound on orthophonics or electric machines), but I can't imagine how playing an electric record on an acoustic machine would damage the record. It's not like acoustic reproducers are heavier than orthophonic reproducers or electric pickups. Can you please explain?
There's been extensive discussion about this over the years. A search on the forum will turn up several threads. Once the electric era started and electric pickups became the norm, they were lighter than acoustic reproducers. As a result, many manufacturers started changing the composition of the shellac. Hold a record from 1915 in one hand and a record from 1935 in the other. You'll find the 1935 record (at least most of them) is lighter and has a more brittle feel to it. It will wear faster under a heavy reproducer versus a lighter electric pickup.

Some people will play the later records, but I personally wouldn't chance it. I like my records too much.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Are the two wood strips I see in the photo the side parts that have been removed? I doubt they could be used/put back since the blade of the saw probably removed a good amount of material, but hey, maybe. You may also use them to get measurements/drill hole locations if you make a new surround.

If the rest of the cabinet isn't in very bad condition, and you want a project, I say go for it. I think a simple way to get it up and running may be to finish the job of cutting/chiseling out the old motor board surround, get it flush on the sides, and then cut out a new solid piece of plywood to fit. If you can find mahogany plywood, that would be nice. Better yet, get mahogany veneer and veneer some plywood yourself so that the pattern would match the original (look at photos of an original and see how the grain runs if you want it more accurate). I'm just guessing, but off the top of my head I think you might be able to mount wood cleats or small metal brackets to the inside the cabinet for the new motor surround to rest on. Make sure it's firmly supported and fastened.

It would be a lot of work, but if you're willing, I think you might as well attempt it before scrapping the cabinet. A lot of this depends on how bad the outside of the cabinet is, though. I only see a little of it in the photos. If it's sentimental or you just want it working, go for it. If not, you could find another Victrola in working condition easily. But where's the fun in that? ;)

michaelphoenix22
Victor Jr

Post by michaelphoenix22 »

Thanks for the offer of the cabinet but we are trying to get this one fixed up (im in Wisconsin anyways). It was my wife's great grandfather's. So the whole thing does have some sentimental value. The horn and reproducer are all in there just not pictured. the rest of the woodwork is all in tact as the shelving was used for tool storage.

THe wood strips used to be part of it somehow. This wont be more than a project to tool around with every once in a while as my wife and I are still getting used to our newborn (3 months old now!) BUt we did find the player so its now on the offical "to do list"