Question about Victrola record binders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Question about Victrola record binders

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I need to get off my hind end and read my copy of LFTD! But it’s not the latest version... kinda funny. The lesser model probably has the better sound. What upright pre-orthophonic models had the largest horns? (Excluding the XV)

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:I need to get off my hind end and read my copy of LFTD! But it’s not the latest version... kinda funny. The lesser model probably has the better sound. What upright pre-orthophonic models had the largest horns? (Excluding the XV)
You posted before I could correct. Since the No.120 and No.111 were available together for a time...the No. 120 was offered as the XVI replacement. Once production of the No. 120 ceased, the No.111 with shallow lid, larger horn and smaller cabinet was the only comparable left to the old XVI. Yet, it was quite different and the differences were promoted as improvements.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophone78 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:I need to get off my hind end and read my copy of LFTD! But it’s not the latest version... kinda funny. The lesser model probably has the better sound. What upright pre-orthophonic models had the largest horns? (Excluding the XV)
You posted before I could correct. Since the No.120 and No.111 were available together for a time...the No. 120 was offered as the XVI replacement. Once production of the No. 120 ceased, the No.111 with shallow lid, larger horn and smaller cabinet was the only comparable left to the old XVI. Yet, it was quite different and the differences were promoted as improvements.
I’d say it’s a trade off. Sure, you would have to find a different place to put your extra records, but you’d get a slightly louder horn.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Intresting that the 111 only came with 12in albums. I guess Victor assumed the people who bought the 111, 120, or 125 were the type of folks who bought 12in red seals of opera and classical music and weren’t into “lowbrow” jazz music.