Mystry Edison Carriage - Early Clips but no adjusting Screw

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fourbaers
Victor O

Mystry Edison Carriage - Early Clips but no adjusting Screw

Post by fourbaers »

As many of you know I love the early Edison's including Spring Motors and have seen so many variations. As Class M phonos were converted by Edison jobbers, the details of those conversions varied over the years and jobber-to-jobber and almost anything can be found today.

A strange carriage recently came my way from Australia that originally had the early "Automatic" clips (clips missing but mounting holes are there) and locating pin (again missing but holes present) but it does NOT have - and appears to never have had - the large lug on the right side for the adjusting azimuth screw. The right side of the carriage is flawless with no evidence of said lug being ground down as some I've seen.

I'm posting some pictures of it along with a black Spring Motor carriage that does have the lug. As seen in the third picture it is slightly thicker than the normal counterpart - just thick enough that a C reproducer weight will not clear it. Someone has apparently added a model C locating pin and set screw.

I would appreciate hearing any thoughts on the origin of this carriage.

Terry Baer
St. Louis
Attachments
Edison Carriage 1.jpg
Edison Carriage 4.jpg
Edison Carriage 3.jpg
Edison Carriage 2.jpg

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Mystry Edison Carriage - Early Clips but no adjusting Sc

Post by rgordon939 »

In George Frow’s book “The Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion” on page 88 they show a good plated Class M with what appears to be the same carriage as yours. What do you think?

Rich Gordon
Attachments
5392CDAE-06E4-4877-A9AB-9869577749D2.png

fourbaers
Victor O

Post by fourbaers »

Mr. Gordon, That's a very late Class M without the clips so would basically be a Triumph carriage. Mine has the holes for clips and locating pin like a pre-1900 model sans lug. Thanks.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

rgordon939 wrote:In George Frow’s book “The Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion” on page 88 they show a good plated Class M with what appears to be the same carriage as yours. What do you think?

Rich Gordon
Does anyone know what happened to the gold plated Class M?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Isn’t it possible that the reproducer locking screw was added at a later date as an update to the carriage? The owner of the machine may have preferred the locking screw for ease of changing reproducers. Drilling and taping the hole would leave no telltale signs of the update.

Rich Gordon

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Terry, that's certainly an odd combination of early and later characteristics. Since it would have made absolutely no sense for someone to have taken a ca. 1903 Triumph carriage and drilled/tapped 4 holes for the clips, and another hole for the speaking tube locating pin, it must have happened the other direction. Someone took an early Class M carriage, had the lug that held the adjustment screw professionally ground off and filed, drilled/tapped for the set screw, added the Model C locating pin, and repainted the carriage. I can't think of any other reason for this other than "updating" it. Perhaps it was on a machine that was old dealer's stock, and this "update" made it more saleable?

George P.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Curt A wrote:
rgordon939 wrote:In George Frow’s book “The Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion” on page 88 they show a good plated Class M with what appears to be the same carriage as yours. What do you think?

Rich Gordon
I believe I saw a gold plated Class M at Charley Hummel's house. Could be wrong though, that was serious sensory overload looking at his collection of rare machines.

Andreas

cmshapiro
Victor I

Post by cmshapiro »

alang wrote:
Curt A wrote:

Rich Gordon
I believe I saw a gold plated Class M at Charley Hummel's house. Could be wrong though, that was serious sensory overload looking at his collection of rare machines.

Andreas
Not in Charley’s collection but Ray Phillips did have one, likely the one shown in Frow.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"In George Frow’s book “The Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion” on page 88 they show a good plated Class M with what appears to be the same carriage as yours. What do you think?"

Rich,

I have the very same Frow book....

All my page 88 shows is an Edison home in Black and White...No color photos at all.

What edition of the book do you have?? Mine is the 1994 edition.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I have the electronic IBook version.

Rich Gordon