Columbia Horn Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zapper
Victor II

Columbia Horn Gramophone

Post by zapper »

Hi
Can anyone identify this Columbia machine?
Thanks Brian
Attachments
Columbia.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Columbia Horn Gramophone

Post by poodling around »

zapper wrote:Hi
Can anyone identify this Columbia machine?
Thanks Brian

Hi there,
I posted (one too many :monkey: ) posts about this machine maybe.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 14&t=37995

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 14&t=37610

Phonefreak thought it was a Columbia BH if you refer to his (her) comments on the second link.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I'm a he. LOL :D
Harvey Kravitz

Phonefreak thought it was a Columbia BH if you refer to his (her) comments on the second link.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

:lol:
Phonofreak wrote:I'm a he. LOL :D
Harvey Kravitz

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

I bought this after looking, thinking looking again and again. I finally bit the bullet and am very happy that I did.
It does not look to ever had columns and the motor, although an oddity does fit a bit too well.and the turntable is in the original central position. (Pictures are in the second link above)
There are no additional holes in the motor board and the stop lever (the 'bent' one) is perfectly positioned as on other models, with no signs of modification to the operating arm.
I have found an parts catalogue which has a rectangular base plate shown for a ~1 motor. The ratchet assembly and spring winding bevel gears are also shown. Unfortunately there is no date.
I have found a correct threaded horn and a replacement sprung needle bar assembly is on its way. The soundbox interior has cleaned up beautifully and it is made in the USA patents 1905 & 1906.
The motor appears to work and as far as I can see the knocking that occurred aft winding could only have been the stop partially engaged or the governor weights just clippng a part of the motor frame. (the speed knob was set to max when I received it).adjusted to the correct speed it runs fine.

Only thing now to find is a suitable winder and identify the motor. Can anyone help or have any info on other types of Columbia ie #1 - 5
I am however confused by the front wind . The case has not had any additional holes made or filled!

I am no expert and would appreciate any advice?