Any other early Diamond A reproducers out there?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
long_island_phono
Victor II

Any other early Diamond A reproducers out there?

Post by long_island_phono »

This Diamond A reproducer, serial # 5, was acquired with, and on, an unusual phonograph. The “A” prefix is foreign to me and I am assuming it was early production coding that was dropped later on. The three other Diamond A’s I have on had are all in the 4 digit range and lack the “A” prefix. Any thoughts?

-Jake
Attachments
2BEE2A2D-58DA-408A-97D2-2BBFD4F32E4D.jpeg

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Any other early Diamond A reproducers out there?

Post by Valecnik »

Hey Jake,

I've got a small database of ~10 Diamond As that I own or have owned. Serial nos. range from 71 to 4903. I also have one with no sn at all. Also a little more sloppily detailed, possibly a mid 20's replacement offered when the machines were getting obsolete acc. to Medved. He's a member here but not checking in too often so I sent him a photo of yours. Hopefully he replies here or replies to my email in which case I'll let you know.

long_island_phono
Victor II

Post by long_island_phono »

Thank you for that information! I actually wrote and have heard back from Steve Medved who informed me that the “A”prefix was added after the 1914 fire, when serial numbers were reset for Diamond A’s. The highest “A” prefix he has on record is A785. He also said the reproducers that lacked any serial number were among the last made.

-Jake

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I purchased my 1 A with an M reproducer and purchased an A reproducer on ebay. I thought there was a serial number on it but when I looked with an eye loop there are three dots as if it were hit with a punch.
Allen

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I just looked at my diamond A and it is SN A 774. I see another mark further down but the weight is in the way and can't tell what that is. Even with light and a magnifying glass I can't figure the mark out. My machine came with an L reproducer and I got me an M later on and now the Diamond A. I store them in empty cylinder boxes. Any other way to store them? Neil