Oak William and Mary diamond disk?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Oak William and Mary diamond disk?

Post by Mormon S »

So I saw this for very cheap, and I'm wondering how hard it is to find a William and Mary in oak. This looks like it would clean up very nicely, and the few pictures I've seen were in mahogany.

Martin
Attachments
Screenshot_20190117-110742_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg
Screenshot_20190117-110752_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg

EarlH
Victor III

Re: Oak William and Mary diamond disk?

Post by EarlH »

There was one of those for sale up in Minnesota awhile back. It was up by St. Cloud, so there's at least one other out there. Those console machines are kind of tough to put much of a price on as most collectors aren't interested in them. I don't think oak would help the Chippendale version of the console machine! The one you are looking at has the late motor with no speed control above the bedplate. That's a nice motor, but it would have been nice if Edison would have left the control in place.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

It isn't Oak (sorry to say!), but rather somebody "antiqued" this example at some point. Notice the lack of an Edison decal behind the turntable.

Sean

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

OrthoSean wrote:It isn't Oak (sorry to say!), but rather somebody "antiqued" this example at some point. Notice the lack of an Edison decal behind the turntable.

Sean
At least they didn’t antique it by slapping green and white paint all over it! :lol:

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

OrthoSean wrote:It isn't Oak (sorry to say!), but rather somebody "antiqued" this example at some point. Notice the lack of an Edison decal behind the turntable.

Sean
Darn! I don't know much about diamond disk machines, so can anyone tell me what the 12 and 10 are on the left side?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Mormon S wrote:

Sean
Darn! I don't know much about diamond disk machines, so can anyone tell me what the 12 and 10 are on the left side?
There's been many posts regarding these selector buttons, or "keys", to keep it simple, I've culled one post out of many that can be found if desired to delve further into the topic.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 835#p91835

Cheers!

-Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

so can anyone tell me what the 12 and 10 are on the left side
Or simply put, if you are going to play a 10" record you press on the 10, and move the reproducer over to where it stops, and lower the reproducer. And do the same if you're playing a 12" record. It works by having stop arms that hit the horn when the reproducer is moved over to the right spot. Many say, why did Edison put a 12 button there, since he didn't make 12" records? Well they were always planning to make 12" records and did eventually. But even when they weren't making any, if someone had a lateral adapter and was playing a 12" Victor Caruso, he could have used the 12 key.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Yes, I agree with Sean, it ain't oak. Oak has a very bold, distinctive grain pattern. It looks like mahogany that has been stripped of its finish inside and out. William and Mary phonographs were never made in oak, just walnut and mahogany.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I agree the machine has been stripped and poorly finished, I don't think its painted just dull. I must be one of the few but I have always enjoyed a console machine. They are at a better sitting height for the machines sound pattern. And as pointed out they fit in rooms better to me than some uprights. I like being able to have a small lamp on my William and Mary, it gives good light on the record, otherwise you have to have a floor lamp which sometimes is hard to get to look right next to a phonograph. The 10" - 12" stop is a good idea due to the deep cabinets of most consoles, it allows you to stop the record where it should sit down rather than trying to guess when the stylus is.

Larry

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

My William and Mary upright has great sound. If I had room and this became available nearby I'd certainly consider it. But no room and I do have the LP console and that too has a great sound. Thank God someone explained the 10/12 buttons and how to use them. I would not have figured it out on my own. Together we are stronger and better. Neil