Edison B19: How common are they

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Edison B19: How common are they

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

Over the course of about a year I have aquired a few very nice edison diamond discs and am becoming an ever bigger fan of edison disc recordings. The only edison diamond disc machine I have is my William and Mary C33 that I purchased for $165 when I was 13. I'm now 25. I would really like to aquire a table top diamond disc phonograph and move the C33 on to a new owner. That brings me to two questions. The first being, how common are edison b19 chalet machines? This is the model I would like to find as it's much more common than the other table top models and I really like the cabinet design of these machines. The second question is: How would you suggest I pass my C33 on to a new owner? The machine is far from perfect. Several of the record deviders are damaged and missing in the right record compartment. Also, one of the decorative knobs is missing. The machine is, however in excellent playing condition and sounds very nice. Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephen

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Edison B19: How common are they

Post by marcapra »

I also own a WMC-33 Edison console in good condition, without any cosmetic problems except some chipping on the grille. I have been trying to sell it for $200 for years with no takers. Edison DD machines tend to be harder to sell than Victrolas, unless they are in a special cabinet, or desirable in some other way, such as being an Edisonic, or in an oak cabinet. Not all collectors want to go the Diamond Disc route. Being a console is another strike against it, as collectors tend to shy away from consoles. They occupy more space than an upright machine. But they can be great as tables to display other machines. I have my Opera on mine. But good luck in selling yours.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

The Edison B19 Chalet model is a bit scarce but can be found. I've had 2 in the shop in the last year and they seem to pop up on Craigslist a few times a year.

It has a single spring motor, your WMC33 has a two spring motor. The B19 has a much smaller horn, you won't get the sound you're used to from your WMC33. That being said, they are a good machine, having the same hardware as the bigger machines, and the cabinets are attractive.

Happy Hunting! Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Keep in mind that a Chalet will take up the nearly same amount of space "above the floor" as any upright model, and without any record storage. I have a Chalet, and they're fine machines, but my continuing favorite is the Model C-19 upright.
IMO it has all the best features Edison had to offer at the time, with largest horn, volume control, best spring motor, etc.
Plus, there's no stooping to wind it as in consoles!

Nice Edison records played on a good machine sound wonderful!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I have one of each, rouge and natural finish cabinets. They are great machines. I have even added the mute ball assembly which allows you to add volume control. The motors are as good as any comparable Edison machine. The only thing I do not like is that it has only one mainspring, but I understand they can be adapted to use 2 mainsprings.

While the horn is smaller, it is great for a apartment or smaller home. If you have a larger home, then go for the consoles.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Keep in mind that a Chalet will take up the nearly same amount of space "above the floor" as any upright model, and without any record storage. I have a Chalet, and they're fine machines, but my continuing favorite is the Model C-19 upright.
IMO it has all the best features Edison had to offer at the time, with largest horn, volume control, best spring motor, etc.
Plus, there's no stooping to wind it as in consoles!

Nice Edison records played on a good machine sound wonderful!
Bob
You are not kidding, they are basically the same size as a upright without the cabinet.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Laughing here because I have a B-80 table model and it is big and I cannot carry it around like some table tops. It does have nice sound though and that surprised me. I expected it to be not so loud but I am happy. Neil

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

Yeah, I've never actually seen a b19 in person, but imagined they would be rather large. Looking at the various models, I really like the A150. A beautiful machine. How common are those?

Stephen

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Stephen_Heatherly wrote:Yeah, I've never actually seen a b19 in person, but imagined they would be rather large. Looking at the various models, I really like the A150. A beautiful machine. How common are those?

Stephen
The B19 is one of the larger table top machines offered by any company because it still has the full Diamond Disc mechanism and horn. Even with the "small" horn, it still takes up a lot of space.

The A150 is also surprisingly large. They are not found nearly as frequently as Chippendales or Sheratons. However, there's a gorgeous oak one in Syracuse, NY on Facebook marketplace for only $100! If I were closer, I'd be all over it:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 3275615490

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

I have three B-19s if anyone is looking for one or two or three. All are in excellent condition with rebuilt reproducers, cleaned up cases, new reproduction grilles with grille cloth. Let me know if you're interested.