My new machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

My new machines

Post by vansteem78 »

Two weeks ago I received these three machines. Fun to have an Eagle, the BO is restored so looks like new and the Columbia Vivatonal portable just needs some cleaning outside. I did the inside already. A question about the phrase place inline. What does that mean? Neil
Attachments
DSCN0007 (2).JPG
DSCN0006 (2).JPG
DSCN0005 (2).JPG
DSCN0004 (2).JPG
DSCN0002 (3).JPG
DSCN0001 (2).JPG

Steve Levi
Victor II

Re: My new machines

Post by Steve Levi »

Have no idea what "inline" means. Those are sharp looking machines (all). Is your BO a 2 and 4 minute player? Steve L.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

All look like fine acquisitions. The BO is one of the more unusual of the Columbia back bracket models. The Eagle is one of George Paul's favorite machines so you're in the "George Paul Eagle Club." And I bet the Grafonola sounds wonderful. Congratulations!

Jerry Blais

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Holy Molie! Those are all nice machines, nice find! Can't answer your question about "Phrase Place Inline". Is it really "Please Place Inline"? Cheers, Russie

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote: The Eagle is one of George Paul's favorite machines so you're in the "George Paul Eagle Club."
:lol:

George P.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

vansteem78 wrote:A question about the phrase place inline. What does that mean? Neil
I'm assuming you're seeing this when you're attaching photos to a post. If you just attach the photos, they go to the end of the post by default. If you want the photo to appear in the middle of the post somewhere, click where you want the photo to go, then choose the photo from the dropdown and click "place inline".

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Steve Levi wrote:Have no idea what "inline" means. Those are sharp looking machines (all). Is your BO a 2 and 4 minute player? Steve L.
It appears to have the 2/4 minute changing lever on the feedscrew... unless I am mistaken...
Last edited by Curt A on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Neil,
Nice machines... you seem to find some great stuff. I had one of those Viva-Tonal portables and they sound better than most portables I have heard...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Steve Levi wrote:Have no idea what "inline" means. Those are sharp looking machines (all). Is your BO a 2 and 4 minute player? Steve L.
Yes the BO is 2 and 4 minute mechanism. Though only playing celluloid because I notice a lot of wax on the tip after being played.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Wow! You sure have some nice machines. I had a Viva Tonal just like yours. I bought it from the late Floyd Silver, but sold it a few years later for financial reasons.

That machine really puts out the bass and really sounds good on later 20’s electrically recorded records. The best I remember, I bought some gaskets from a seller in the U.K. and rebuilt it, that thing to me sounded like a good console. One thing I have noticed with Columbia Viva Tonal is that you don’t see many of the consoles, but more of the portables. I think most Viva Tonal recordings were played and enjoyed on the portable.