Columbia B Eagle or Q? Which is your favorite?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Columbia B Eagle or Q? Which is your favorite?

Post by phonogfp »

I can't really say anything about the Eagle that I (or others) haven't already said, so I'll just post the "One Collector's Perspective" that accompanied an article I wrote on the Eagle in 2005. (APS members can read the entire article, as well as a June 2012 followup, on the APS web site.)

George P.
Eaglearticle003.jpg

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I have one of each and like them both equally. I have had my Q for over 40 years now and the Eagle was purchased at Union a couple of years ago. Both machines are clean, working and on display but rarely played. I have other machines that I prefer to use when playing cylinders ... A Triumph D2 with O and diamond B reproducers and an oak cygnet horn plus a couple of Home Bs, one of which has a cygnet horn and an S reproducer. The small Columbia machines, along with my 3 Gems always get favorable comments from visitors.

Jim

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's a tough choice.

When you consider the Q it:
1) It could be purchased case-less, with a cardboard case, or with a bentwood case.
2) It came in two basic variations where the governor is supported.
3) The bentwood cases cases were finished in a light oak or green oak. I've seen green Qs that were such a dark green that they made the Edison Model A series of green cases look like they were just tinted green. Some Qs were really green.
4) You'll see Qs with unusual decals like Languagephone, etc.

But you must consider the B (Eagle) and its qualities, it has:
1) It has a more powerful double spring motor.
2) The B was offered in a polished nickel finish. A nice example is really striking.
3) The B was offered earlier in talking machine history.
4) The B was a great platform that spawned variations such as the Columbia BS and the AB McDonald.

Here's the real question... Why do we have to make a choice? A nice collection showing the variations of both models would only take up the space of a nice coffee table!

OK, if I have to make a choice, I'll go with the Q. If you'd asked a year ago I would have said the B. But in the last year two variations of the Q came my direction. Maybe when that elusive polished nickel B come my way I'll change my vote.

As I write this in our stark living room I look from my Lazy Boy and see the coffee table. It is round and about 3.5' across. It only has a skinny little book about the Albany Carousel and a glass thingy the size of a slightly overgrown softball sitting on top. Could someone call DeeDee and make my Q & Eagle coffee table suggestion? Please?

Banished to the basement, Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_2993.JPG
Last edited by Jerry B. on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

I'll go with Jerry's reasons. I choose the Q because I think it displays better. Most non collectors react more favorably to the Q over the B, but I hope I never have to make the choice to keep one over the other.

If it helps, I think the coffer table arrangement of those two would be a wonderful display! Cheers, Russie

PS, Nice sneakers.