Columbia B Eagle or Q? Which is your favorite?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Columbia B Eagle or Q? Which is your favorite?

Post by Victrolacollector »

The two most popular keywind Columbia cylinder machines seem to be the Q and B. Which is your favorite machine and why?

I prefer the B for its two spring motor, the one that I have is the BX with the larger reproducer.

vansteem78
Victor II

Re: Columbia B Eagle or Q? Which is your favorite?

Post by vansteem78 »

I just got my B (Eagle) last week so a new favorite. My Q well not my favorite due to lack of a cover. I have a cloth covering it and not nice looking. I think too the B is just better all around. I too like the two spring motor.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

They are not bad machines and simple to adjust, but I pick the B as my favorite. The 2-spring motor can't be wound while playing, unlike the Q, but it will play 2 records, and winding it ⅔ or so means your not taxing the spring, and you still won't run the risk of slowing down towards the end of the record.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I think a good B is a beautiful little machine. The Q is cute and interesting, but I favor the B, ( Eagle is a cool name, so it has that going for it too). I do have a nice, late Q and a Busy Bee version as well, but I have three B machines, and one is a BXP. Either machine is well worth having and it is nice that they don’t take up much space or cost a fortune. An AB still beats them both in my opinion.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Not too long ago I wandered into a coin shop to price out an original $10 Eagle coin from the approximate same era as the Columbia B Eagle that might have been purchased with it. Luckily you can get a B a lot cheaper now - the coin is worth about $750!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

PeterF wrote:Not too long ago I wandered into a coin shop to price out an original $10 Eagle coin from the approximate same era as the Columbia B Eagle that might have been purchased with it. Luckily you can get a B a lot cheaper now - the coin is worth about $750!
I guess that as a pure investment the coin did better than the machine, but the machine plays music and brings joy. I’ll take the Columbia Eagle over the one from the US mint any day.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Django wrote:I think a good B is a beautiful little machine. The Q is cute and interesting, but I favor the B, ( Eagle is a cool name, so it has that going for it too). I do have a nice, late Q and a Busy Bee version as well, but I have three B machines, and one is a BXP. Either machine is well worth having and it is nice that they don’t take up much space or cost a fortune. An AB still beats them both in my opinion.
The AB would be a dream machine for me, always thought about having one, and getting those Vulcan Concert Cylinders, but the AB cost as least 5 times as much as a B Eagle.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I rarely play the Columbia Q's in my collection but I do play my Columbia Eagles (model B's). I prefer them because they not only play a little longer (mine do anyway!) than my Q's but I also appreciate the "look" and design of the gear train and that cute little two spring barrel assembly. They're easy and fun to work on as well. From my perspective, the 1898 nickeled and polished Columbia model B Eagle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCnRQXV3Nks and the circa 1901 Columbia MacDonald (model AB) which was also nickeled and polished: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5p01PX7a7w are two of the most visually stunning phonographs ever made. I have a great deal of respect for Thomas MacDonald, the chief design engineer at Columbia.

Doug

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

B of course, because it was first, a great design, and shaped much of the industry for the next decade (especially in Europe).

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Sidewinder wrote:B of course, because it was first, a great design, and shaped much of the industry for the next decade (especially in Europe).
^^^ this (but I can only echo the sentiment on this side of the pond). :)

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.