Columbia BE -- decal?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Columbia BE -- decal?

Post by eighteenbelow »

I picked up this Columbia BE -- as you can see, the case was in pieces when I found it, but it cleaned up really nicely; I haven't refinished it or anything. One thing is kind of baffling though: While the small Exposition decal is present, complete and in good condition, there is no hint of a banner decal on the other side of the case. I know for certain this case has never been refinished, and I have a hard time imagining that the banner decal could have completely worn off while the Exposition decal remained intact. Did some of these leave the factory without the banner decal? If so, how and why, and how common is this?

(Oh, and just to be clear: I will definitely NOT be adding a replica decal.)
Attachments
Columbia BE 1.jpg
Columbia BE 2.jpg
Columbia BE 3.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Columbia BE -- decal?

Post by Phonofreak »

Are there holes in the case and lid for the handle, crank escutcheon, etc.? I can't tell by the pictures. If there are no holes, then it is probably an old NOS case that hasn't been fitted. Probably a factory left over. Neat find.
Harvey Kravitz

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Yes, the holes are all there; in fact, I have the entire machine, including the crank. I just removed the phonograph (which is in very good condition) so I could restore the case (which was not).

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Is the Exposition decal on the front or back? Thanks, Jerry

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

It's on the back. (Assuming the crank should be on the right, of course.)

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I have a Col BG with the small decal in the front. I thought there was a chance your decal was in the front and that was the only decal. It was worth a try. ;)

Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Are you absolutely sure the finish on the cabinet is untouched original? Columbia, like most talking machine companies, was quite proud of their products. It would be quite unusual for something to leave to factory without that big banner decal. Is there still shellac on the front of the cabinet? It would be easy to wash off the shellac with denatured alcohol while still leaving a great deal of the color remaining. Is the grain still filled in the front? With that said you usually see a shadow indicating the location of the removed decal.

Please don't be offended if I play the devil's advocate. I love quirky differences in any machine. I once saw an upside down Victrola decal on a Vernis Martin VV-XVII and loved it. I would love to see your cabinet in person and hope it's factory original.

Jerry :twisted: Blais

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote:
I have a Col BG with the small decal in the front. I thought there was a chance your decal was in the front and that was the only decal. It was worth a try. ;)

Jerry B.
I have a BE with the decals "backwards" too. Meaning the banner decal is on the back side while the small decal is facing you. It's a very early BE, s/n 75. Also has the early weighted reproducer.

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Jerry B. wrote:Are you absolutely sure the finish on the cabinet is untouched original?
I am absolutely sure. As you can see in the attached photos, the case was in pretty rough shape when I found it, and I got it from the great-granddaughter of the original owner, who said it had been in a basement since he stopped using it, probably around a century ago. (Thankfully, she kept all the trim that had fallen off.) And there really is no hint whatsoever of a banner decal. It's a real puzzle to me.

Oh, and no need to worry, Jerry -- I'm not offended.
Attachments
Columbia BE case 1.jpg
Columbia BE case 2.jpg