Victor Credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Victor Credenza

Post by eighteenbelow »

Well, it was a big day for exponential horn machines. (See my post about the Brunswick Cortez: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=38774) I checked out this Victor Credenza, which appears to be completely original. The finish is OK -- certainly not perfect, but no serious scratches, flaking, fading, etc. The grille and grille cloth are intact, as are the feet. The reproducer, though, looks like a mess (and sounds even worse). I tried for several minutes to wriggle it off the tone arm, then quit because I was afraid it mighty crumble in my hand. I'm pretty sure it's got to go, and I know brass reproducers can be very expensive. How much could I reasonably expect to get a rebuilt pot metal reproducer in fine condition for? Are they hard to come by?

The price is right on this machine and I will probably pick it up, even though -- forgive me -- I have never found Credenzas very attractive (unlike the Cortez, which I find beautiful), mostly because I have always been curious about what these sound like when properly restored. But I'm also more than a bit intimidated by the prospect of restoring it, particularly resealing the horn. What are the odds the horn will need to be resealed? If it were yours, and it did need it, what are the least and the most you would to reseal it? If anyone has the patience to lay it out for me step-by-step, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!
Attachments
Victor Credenza 1.jpg
Victor Credenza 2.jpg
Victor Credenza 3.jpg
Victor Credenza 4.jpg
Victor Credenza reproducer 1.jpg
Victor Credenza reproducer 2.jpg
Last edited by eighteenbelow on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Django
Victor IV

Re: Victor Credenza

Post by Django »

That looks like it’s in very nice, original condition. If it is a nice survivor, I would hope that you would only give the cabinet a good cleaning, rebuild and maybe touch up the reproducer, clean and service the motor and seal the horn if needed. If the record that you show was the one that you judged the sound by, then it may not be the reproducer that is responsible. If the machine looks anywhere near as good in person as it does in the pictures and you have the room, and you really want it, (if the price is reasonable), I wouldn’t wait too long before making a decision. These machines are desired for their playing abilities more than for their appearance, but I find them to be very attractive and dignified. To me they represent the end of an era when quality and beauty were still in demand.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Overall, the sound box looks to be in salvageable condition, but it will definitely need a rebuild. I see the diaphragm is torn, and will have to be replaced --
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.25 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
(I'm not sure if reproduction Orthophonic diaphragms are still available, but you can try here: http://www.shenandoahrestoration.com/motor.html .)

As for removing a sound box that's stuck on the tonearm, you may be able to loosen it with a few drops of penetrating oil, and twisting it by the throat--not the outer shell.

OrthoFan

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

As for sealing the horn, here are a couple of links regarding that:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=5266

http://www.gracyk.com/credenza.shtml

I used the method described by Gracyk. It should be mentioned that I live in a very dry climate and so a good sealing was necessary. Good luck with the Credenza. I've owned several and enjoyed them, each and every one.

CharlieP

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

The housing of the reproducer looks ok from what I can see in the pictures, but as OrthoFan pointed out, the diaphragm is cracked. Be careful in case there's any swelling around where it attaches to the tone arm. Also, that record on it looks like it's practically toast, so between it and the cracked diaphragm, I wouldn't judge the sound quality on what you heard.

If you can get it for a good price, it's definitely worth bringing home.

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Thanks. I don't live in a dry place, so perhaps it won't be that bad.

By the way, does anyone know exactly (more or less) what one of these machines weighs?

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

eighteenbelow wrote:Thanks. I don't live in a dry place, so perhaps it won't be that bad.

By the way, does anyone know exactly (more or less) what one of these machines weighs?
They aren't light. I'd say it weighs at least about 100 pounds.

One tip - my back is shot, so when I move a machine, I always remove the motor, turntable, and all other internal parts. I use a dolly to move the cabinet (wrapped in furniture blankets, of course).

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

The Credenza (8-30) weighs approximately 183 Lbs, check your Victor Data Book. When Bob was compiling data I located as many examples as possible and put them on a scale. The weight is without records or albums, the weight will vary somewhat based on wood and motor type but not substantially.

Mark