Need Help Identifying a Columbia Grafonola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JMan88
Victor Jr

Need Help Identifying a Columbia Grafonola

Post by JMan88 »

While I'm a long-time fan of the Forum, this is my first post. Over the weekend, I purchased a Columbia Grafonola tabletop model at an estate sale. Unit sounds great and while it looked a little rough at the sale, a good cleaning really helped on the metal parts and wood. I need to glue some of the wood laminate on the top, but this should be an easy repair. I suspect the unit may have been restained, as it appears a little dark. All things considered, however, I feel like I got a great looking unit for $75 ... Very happy !!!

Here's my dilemma ... I was looking for a model tag with serial number, but these don't appear to have been used with Columbia. Searching the internet for pictures hasn't helped me to identify the unit. I'd read that a model number might be stamped on the bottom, but turning the unit over, I only saw the patent label in the attached picture. I'm hoping someone can help me identify the model and possible years of manufacture. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide !
Attachments
IMG_4616.jpg
IMG_4616.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
IMG_4633.jpg
IMG_4633.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
IMG_4631.jpg
IMG_4631.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
IMG_4632.jpg
IMG_4632.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
IMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4630.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
IMG_4629.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

Cody K
Victor III

Re: Need Help Identifying a Columbia Grafonola

Post by Cody K »

Hi JMan -- I believe that would be the model 50, the successor to the short-lived "Favorite" model introduced in 1912. The Favorite got Columbia into trouble with Victor, who had a patent on the use of doors. The Favorite was then redesigned with louvers to get around that, and renamed the 50 at a time when Columbia was calling its models by the number of dollars in their prices -- the 50, when introduced, sold for 50 dollars, as had the Favorite.

Yours is very handsome in oak -- congratulations on a nice acquisition!
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

And... I don't have my documents in front of me but I think this model ended up being referred to as "D-2" around 1918 or so when Columbia started using that style model designation. Around that time, that model ID would be located right under the decal. Floor models would be E-2, F-2, G-2, etc., depending on the record storage compartment options or cabinet style...

I'll grab a book later and confirm. Will follow up....
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This is definitely a Model D-2 from 1918. The D-1 was Mahogany, and the D-2 in Oak. The patent dates are older ones, but not the year this machine was made. Look at the form number and you will see 5-18, which is May 1918. That's unusual because that was the height of WWI, and most companies were gearing up for the war effort.
Harvey Kravitz

JMan88
Victor Jr

Post by JMan88 »

THANK YOU for the help in identifying my Grafonola !

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

With a form revision date of 5-18, it was likely made in mid 1918 through about mid 1919. Although production continued during WWI (unlike WWII when virtually all civilian manufacturing was halted to use resources to support the war effort), there was a short-lived manufacturing boom that started in early 1919 and continued through early 1920, when the economy went into recession. This recession was one of driving factors that ultimately killed off a lot of the smaller phonograph manufacturers. In 1919, there were literally hundreds of smaller companies building machines to "compete" with Columbia, Victor, and Edison.

Unfortunately, Columbia's serial number records were lost, so there's no way to date it precisely. I want to say the model number appearing under the decal started around 1920. Maybe I read that somewhere or I was able to deduce it from advertising - can't remember which.

That oak cabinet looks like it will clean up beautifully with a little more work. Go slow, take your time, and if you aren't sure how to proceed, research it first. And of course, always ask if you need help!

JMan88
Victor Jr

Post by JMan88 »

Thank you for further clarifying the manufacturing date !