What model Pathé is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: What model Pathé is this?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

PeterF wrote:Was there a sapphire stylus?
No, Unfortunately.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Geeze I need a deal like that. Most of my machine cost me a great deal more. Lucky you. Glad you go lucky. I have a Columbia AG machine to play the big cylinders and yes a lot more then $50. ha ha Nice machines and parts.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Geeze I need a deal like that. Most of my machine cost me a great deal more. Lucky you. Glad you got lucky. I have a Columbia AG machine to play the big cylinders and yes a lot more then $50. ha ha Nice machines and parts.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

vansteem78 wrote:Geeze I need a deal like that. Most of my machine cost me a great deal more. Lucky you. Glad you got lucky. I have a Columbia AG machine to play the big cylinders and yes a lot more then $50. ha ha Nice machines and parts.
Yeah! I never ever get a good deal like this! The only thing I need is a sapphire ball and I can play those 3 records. And I’m all set! . The VV-XI on the other hand...I’m glad it was the best selling Victor machine ever and parts won’t be too hard to find... :? And I’m not going to make a huge thread about it since everybody here has had a VV-XI at one time or another. I will say It’s certainly the oldest Victor machine that I have now. Beating my oak XI by a couple of months. (Skinny tonearm, exhibition soundbox, round dial speed control)

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

One thing I noticed is that changing needles is a little trickier compared to a Victrola. The needle holder doesn’t seem to hold the thin soft tone needles very well. When I get a sapphire stylus, I’m just going to use this machine strictly for vertical cut records and continue to play my lateral cut 78s on my Victor machines.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Update on the $50 VV-XI: With parts supplied by Terry, (85corvetteman) we now have music!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DSIo3XVBtE0

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

UPDATE on both machines 3/12/19:

My Pathéphone finally has a sapphire stylus!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rb6-_DIDww0

Not to crazy about the song choice but I only have 3 Pathé discs and the best one of the 3 has steel needle damage and won’t track!

As for the VV-XI: I have replaced what was left of the old felt with new felt. And added a rebuilt exhibition soundbox and now it sounds the way it would have sounded 102 years ago!

Here it is playing a record, recorded around the same time this was probably sitting brand new in some department store in 1917.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qrJ9xVolua4