Help with Identifying

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Help with Identifying

Post by pellicano1 »

Hello all! I won a nice lot off eBay of needles, Victor tins, cups, etc. These 2 adapters were included. Any idea what they were used for? Sound enhancement? Thanks in advance! Also included a Hustylus lateral adapter with original booklet which I cant wait to come in!! I can play my Pathé' discs on my Vics! I would imagine I would be able to play Edisons maybe with a diamond stylus?
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (80.3 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1601.jpg (101.92 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
s-l1602.jpg
Last edited by pellicano1 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Django
Victor IV

Re: Help with Identifying

Post by Django »

No clue about the first two.

I almost bid on that lot. I think that you did well.

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

Django wrote:No clue about the first two.

Yes thanks! Forgot to add that in there about the Hustylus. But just wondering what the adapters were used for specifically.
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

Django wrote:No clue about the first two.

$90 incl shipping. The needles are nice! Wall-Kane 10 plays NOS. If the stylus is good on the Edison reproducer thats a bonus.
Thomas A. Edison

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

That "Hustylus" looks like it may be missing the sapphire but it could be the photo. Don't be too over excited about the sound from one, I have two that I bought sealed and one I've used now and then, it sounds okay, but not nearly as good as a Pathé machine with a normal sapphire sounds, also you need to alter the angle of the Victor reproducer when you use one of these, it can be tricky.

Wall Kane needles claimed 10-12 plays per needle, but try one side then check the tip and you'll see that they wear like any normal steel needle, this was just a sales gimmick, trust me, I've done plenty of testing with them. If I were you, I'd treat then like regular single play needles.

Nonetheless, it's always fun to get new and not often found stuff like this, it's one of the smaller niches in my collecting.

Sean

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

OrthoSean wrote:That "Hustylus" looks like it may be missing the sapphire but it could be the photo. Don't be too over excited about the sound from one, I have two that I bought sealed and one I've used now and then, it sounds okay, but not nearly as good as a Pathé machine with a normal sapphire sounds, also you need to alter the angle of the Victor reproducer when you use one of these, it can be tricky.

Wall Kane needles claimed 10-12 plays per needle, but try one side then check the tip and you'll see that they wear like any normal steel needle, this was just a sales gimmick, trust me, I've done plenty of testing with them. If I were you, I'd treat then like regular single play needles.

Nonetheless, it's always fun to get new and not often found stuff like this, it's one of the smaller niches in my collecting.

Sean
Thanks Sean! Luckily I own a Pathé VII but love to experiment! I hear ya on the NOS Wall Kanes. Normally when I see NOS I just keep them with their packs as display, knowing they were more inclined to destroy your records! Plus modern steel needles are cheap enough.

Speaking of proper angle, here is a diagram from inside the booklet!
Attachments
s-l16001.jpg
Thomas A. Edison

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

The second item pictured is the "Little One-Der".
The Little One-Der.JPG

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

pellicano1 wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:That "Hustylus" looks like it may be missing the sapphire but it could be the photo. Don't be too over excited about the sound from one, I have two that I bought sealed and one I've used now and then, it sounds okay, but not nearly as good as a Pathé machine with a normal sapphire sounds, also you need to alter the angle of the Victor reproducer when you use one of these, it can be tricky.

Sean
Thanks Sean! Luckily I own a Pathé VII but love to experiment! I hear ya on the NOS Wall Kanes. Normally when I see NOS I just keep them with their packs as display, knowing they were more inclined to destroy your records! Plus modern steel needles are cheap enough.

I have a 3 drawer cabinet full of NOS steel, tungstones and other gimmicky things. I love the stuff. Most of it came from one place many years back after I happened to be talking with someone I used to work with about my hobby, I ended up getting connected with someone who's grandfather had owned a Victor dealership. I bought everything he had, among it were cases of Wall Kanes.....cases....I won't use them, but I do use the Victor steel needles. I'll never have to buy needles again :lol:

Sean

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

OrthoSean wrote:
pellicano1 wrote:

Sean

I have a 3 drawer cabinet full of NOS steel, tungstones and other gimmicky things. I love the stuff. Most of it came from one place many years back after I happened to be talking with someone I used to work with about my hobby, I ended up getting connected with someone who's grandfather had owned a Victor dealership. I bought everything he had, among it were cases of Wall Kanes.....cases....I won't use them, but I do use the Victor steel needles. I'll never have to buy needles again :lol:

Sean
Love them too!! I found 25 gold tungs tone needles in a needle cup when I bought my Victor III. Inside the cabinet. They look NOS too!
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

gramophone78 wrote:The second item pictured is the "Little One-Der".
The Little One-Der.JPG
Awesome thank you!! So I take it no matter which type of needle you insert its supposed to soften the sound?
Thomas A. Edison