Can anyone identify this machine and device?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Can anyone identify this machine and device?

Post by marcapra »

In today's market, it probably is an unrealistic price, although it looks like a beautiful machine from about the year 1920, maybe. The J. C. Thomas picture looks like a publicity photo to sell the machine. I particularly like the ornate grille work, and that A.V. splatter record. But for an antique store, the price doesn't surprise me at all, as frequently store owners don't know where to start in pricing something like that. That's probably why it went to a family member.

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

Here my one. Had it for 19 years so far.
Attachments
IMG_3351.JPG

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

Aeolian at one point was the largest piano manufacturer in the US, even having contracts with Steinway.

It was very common for piano companies to produce phonographs, including Kimball, Starr and Heintzman. Aeolian wanting to set them-self apart invited the graduola feature. (Somewhat the first remote volume control for a phonograph, a cord that extended from the phonograph that controlled the tone similar to a diamond disc machine.)

Victrolaman did a You Tube video on a model he had awhile back:(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6OQHPWFwlY)
Last edited by Benjamin_L on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

GregVTLA wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that seem like an unrealistic price? I would have thought the machine was in the 200 range.

Martin
Agreed, I don't see this model even mint-condition in a full retail setting going over $400.

The antiques store story is wrong, the one pictured with Thomas is a model/style "700" while the one they have is a model/style "800":(https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... /seq-6.pdf)