Polk-phone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Polk-phone

Post by OrthoFan »

"James K. Polk, Inc." also played a role in the development of the country/western/hillbilly music genre:

The idea of recording Carson originated with Polk Brockman, who ran the section of his grandfather’s Atlanta furniture store that sold phonographs and records. By 1921 the store – James K. Polk, Inc. – was the South’s largest outlet for the Okeh Record Company. Within a couple of years, however, under the onslaught of radio and more general economic problems, record sales lagged. In June 1923, while sitting in a New York theater, Brockman was inspired by a newsreel of a fiddlers’ contest in Virginia. In a memo pad he jotted, “Fiddlin’ John Carson – local talent – let’s record.” Peer approved the idea, and Brockman rented space on Nassau Street and invited Carson and a number of acts to participate. No one in the makeshift studio that day could have anticipated the cultural phenomenon they were launching.9

In the months and years following Carson’s success, other local notables such as Riley Puckett and Gid Tanner made recordings in Atlanta, as did famed out-of-towners such as Jimmie Rodgers, the Carter Family, and Bill Monroe. While country music recording sessions occurred in other locales during the 1920s, Atlanta, with its powerful radio station and rich vein of local talent, was foremost. As one music historian observes, “Most of the genuine country music recorded in the 1920s came from Atlanta. It was the Nashville of its day, and all the major record companies had studios there.”

https://www.atlantastudies.org/2017/08/ ... s-atlanta/

OF

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Nice to see. I have a nice Polk portable but had never see a larger machine. Very nice. Thanks. Neil

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Here is the sound box from my Polk Concert portable. Neil
Attachments
polk2.JPG
polk1.JPG

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

This popped up on the Nashville craigslist, but was listed a few days ago from Greensboro, NC.

(https://nashville.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 31766.html)
Last edited by Benjamin_L on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Benjamin_L wrote:This was listed a few days ago on the Greensboro, NC craigslist. I like it I just wish I had the space for it, and time to drive to get it.

(https://nashville.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 31766.html)
That's a great sign! I'd rather have that than a Polk phonograph. The whole "make cash offer" remark is an immediate put-off to me, not to mention against CL rules, but I digress.

Sean
Attachments
Polk Sign.jpg
Polk Sign.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 687 times