Broken Backs and Phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

Broken Backs and Phonographs

Post by outune »

“Well, sir, I've gone and done it……” When Uncle Josh said that, Nancy had convinced him that he needed to buy an automobile.
For me…. I broke my back. :(
A few years ago I hurt my back doing a repair on my daughter’s car. That made it difficult to move machines around and do a lot of mainspring work-- Then, this past October, I slipped on the stairs at home and fractured two vertebrate. Overall, I’m doing quite well, but lifting heavy machines and doing spring work is definitely something I have to avoid.

Prior to that accident, I had been decreasing my phonograph collection, just because I felt the need to make sure my wife wasn’t stuck with a major task when, and if, my own spring finally winds down. :)
At one point I had 65 machines in my collection. I’m at about 25 right now. My Class M and Berliner recently found new homes in South Carolina. My early Victor 6 is now part of a collection in TN. Two coin-op Columbias are in MD and another is in CT.

Now—I’m reluctantly admitting that it’s time to pare down even further, perhaps to 4 or 5 machines, and let others enjoy some of the treasures I’ve found in nearly 46 years of collecting. Most of the machines that are left are Edisons and Victors in collector quality condition.

Over the next couple of months, I will be listing machines and parts on the Forum. I plan to offer most items through the Yankee Trader prior to listing them on Ebay. I also have hundreds of cylinders, as well as boxes and shelves full of 78’s and DD’s. I have a few cylinder cabinets, a few dozen ‘extra’ reproducers, lots of motor parts (both common Victrola and Edison, as well as some less common parts), tonearms, paper-items, signs and prints, phono toys, etc. In short—There’s way too much stuff to list.

I would welcome visits from forum members who might want to look through things and perhaps find their own treasure in my piles of ‘junque’.

I am in Northern Virginia, northwest of D.C., about halfway between the I-95 and I-81 corridors. If your summer travel plans find you somewhere in my vicinity, please think about stopping in for a visit and do a little “shopping.”

Thanks!
Brad Abell

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Re: Broken Backs and Phonographs

Post by Granby »

I completely understand! Although I still "hold on" to my youth and consider myself young.... [still under 40 years old], I have been stubbornly moving phonographs and antiques with only the help of dollies and hand trucks since I was a teenager. This past winter, I had a "scare" with my back and almost could not move for a few days - considered going to E.R. but it finally eased up! Being in pain and not being able to stand up straight in the morning is a scary experience for someone who has never been through it!!!

I'll get to the point; I have also come to the realization that this hobby can be very hard on a back and I know that my collection will be decreasing in the near future, also.

I am starting to find out why you seasoned collectors [older guys] stay away from all these consoles and uprights and go for those early external horn table top machines... :lol: I am not suggesting all those machines are easy to move, but it sure beats bringing an off brand down a flight of steps and then loading into a truck!
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Aw shoot. Sad story, but I can top it.

A few years…back…I, too, broke my, uh, back…

…WHILE MOVING A PHONOGRAPH.

And in front of our own Jerry Blais, who had actually driven hundreds of miles to see me do it. I did a piledriver onto a tiled floor while dropping a Victor 9-40. Neither I nor the Electrola bounced.

All kidding aside, though, it hurt like a mofo and although I have mostly recovered, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Sorry about your situation Brad.
Attachments
A8B9A795-1197-4653-B87A-B99D142A920C.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

5 years ago I threw out my back lifting a heavy bag of dog food but I never threw out my back with a machine.

Anyway just take some time for yourself, take lots of Ibuprofen, Icy Hot ect…

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

While I have had two lower back operations- in 2010 and again in 2012- I've never broken it- in fact, I've never had a broken bone- at least not yet. I also have arthritis in my neck. Very fun.
I can sympathize.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Brad,
So sorry to hear about your back, back pain is the worst!

I think often of the times we got to spend with you and Gene and all the

fond memories. Hope to get up there and see you again someday. Are you

able to make the show coming up in Chicago, I will be there.

All the best,

David Rosamond

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Ugh. I've sent you more under separate cover, but suffice it to say: well, just ugh. :cry:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

74E527D0-D406-45A5-8934-143C5D0BDA51.jpeg
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Love the picture John!! But it makes me hurt! :( Is the guy taking it off the truck or putting it on?? If I were the homeowner who just bought a new machine for my parlor, I'd want to see a more careful delivery guy!

Over the years, I've owned five Credenzas--All are in others' collections now--But even in my 20's I couldn't even imagine lifting one vertically by myself!! Of course that guy is just in a drawing-- The artist doesn't show his back x-ray or hernia ! :)

I did move some on my own by tilting them onto my truck tailgate and sliding them in-- I'm sure we've all done that many times--- My wife helped move more machines than I care to count-- She has been a tolerant and patient helper for many years. As an older collector, I know it's now time to pass the back pain on to the younger generation :)

Brad Abell

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I once tried carrying a customers Victrola 14 up the hill from my shop to the house. I had just finished restoring it and wanted to enjoy it for a few days till the customer came to pick it up. It didn't fit in the trailer that is attached to the tractor neither would it fit in my car. So being young and stupid I squatted down, picked it, and started walking up the hill with it. *it is worth noting that it had snowed and there was still some snow on the ground*. About halfway up the hill my shoe slipped on the snow and I completely threw out my back trying to save the victrola from nose diving into the ground. Thankfully I was able to save it... but I was barely able to walk for a week.

I will definitely not be making that mistake again.

Hope your back pain gets better Brad.. its the worst!

Cheers,
David